A short hike up the abandonned Black Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last winter 1HappyHiker posted a trip report Traveling ON and OFF the Abandoned Black Brook Trail. I had seen that trail on some maps, and was intrigued by the idea of exploring it. Today I felt lazy, and wanted something short and not really steep. It seemed to fit the bill perfectly!

A very short acces road leads to an area with parking for three, maybe four, cars.

P1000208.JPG

There is a gate immediately above the parking area, then the railway line, then the trail enters the woods. It is wide, being an old woods road, and being wide gets lots of sun, hence luxuriant weeds.

P1000189.JPG

In some areas the weeds were almost as tall as I am!

P1000200.JPG

In addition, there were lots of raspberries. The good news is that I feasted on them :). The bad news is that my legs look as if I had been in a scratching match with a cat :(. None of the raspberries were really photogenic.

Both the ground and the vegetation were very wet, and I was soaked from upper thighs to feet. Not a big deal on a hot day, but after about an hour I decided I had had enough fun for one day. Should I return (outside winter) I will wear long pants and probably full gaiters for extra protection.

Once I got home Google led me to a Trail Conditions report, again by 1HappyHiker: Viewpoint on Abandoned Black Brook Trail. Unfortunately I turned around a bit below the viewpoint he found. Note this quote:
Special Required Equipment: High tolerance for high weeds, plus a map & compass for safety sake.

I enjoy exploring, and realize that some explorations lead to forgettable destinations. I just may return for the viewpoint.

Last edited:
Mohamed, it’s good to read that you had an enjoyable feasting on raspberries.:)

Also, it’s great to read that you at least gave this trail a try. However, I now regret that I did not include a “Warning Statement” in my postings. I should have mentioned that this abandoned trail is just marginally suitable for summer travel. It is best enjoyed in late autumn and during the winter season.

I would encourage you to give it a second chance in late autumn or during the winter season. Hopefully, you’ll find it a rewarding experience.

I hiked it during one of the periods between logging when it was officially open, it was a sort-of-ordinary woods road best suited to trailbaggers.