Hancocks via Arrow Slide 8/15/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Trails: Usual trails from Kanc; loop clockwise; up the slide

Special Equipment: bug junk - they were SWARMING in spots, esp on the slide

Conditions: most areas dry; a few muddy spots

Comments: A big THANKS to all who've posted info in this forum on the Arrow Slide - I was glad to finally take it!!! Anyway, the base of the slide is easy to find near the firepits (to the left of the trail at the col); the runout is obvious. Then, the orange rocks take over. The lower 1/2 had reasonable footing; above that it was VERY DICEY!!!! Almost none of the rocks once it got vertical were attached to anything (except scree). I tried to stay right to take the right fork at the top, but the big wet slimy slabs try to force you left. I held onto shrubbery to stay right. At the very top it's tough the last 30 yards when you have to cling to the shrubs to stay above a massive wet slab. I avoided ALL wet slabs (there is a lot of running water - like shining rock). At the top, based on reports to take the right fork, I broke off the slide easily enough on a herd path. I soon lost the herd path, but I hit open woods. Then, the last 5-10 minutes the balsams were DENSE! I think I went too far right (is that possible :)?) It took me about 40 minutes to climb the slide and 20 minutes to get to the trail (then 5 minutes to summit). An AWESOME day to be out!!! AWESOME views!!!

Name: Becca Munroe