Trap Dike compared to Huntington Ravine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
I'm planning on heading out to the Adirondacks for the first time in the coming weeks.

Weather permitting, I'd really like to do trap dike. I was wondering if anyone who has done the dike and has also done Huntington Ravine in the Whites could give me a comparison of the two (for both exposure and difficulty)?

I've read many descriptions and seen many images both here and on other sites -- sometimes it looks/sounds harder than the HRT, sometimes it looks/sounds easier than the HRT. I'd just like to have a better idea of what to expect.

Thank you much,
^MtnMike^

The Dyke Gets My Vote

Mike,

From my experience the Dyke would get my vote. In my opinion none of the moves up Huntington measure to Class 4. I believe and some trip reports say as much that the "crux" through the Dyke and certainly some exits (if you exit to early) are class 4.

But then again its been longer since I have been up HR that the Dyke.

Give it a try, I don't think the difference is any big deal. I hiked Colden from Lake Colden a couple of weeks back and despite the recent rain (which was my justification for not doing the Dyke this time), the dyke looked dry enough, and the slide was certainly drier than the bare rocks going back to Lake Colden.

Brian