What's Your Favorite Swimming Hole?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Finally we have some heat again - makes it a bit much for hiking in 80 degrees w/ humidity so now is the time I start looking a good watering hole. Something not too far off the beaten path but something natural; not buoyed in. I know of blue ledges and camp santanoni, putnam ponds, I've also swam in the hole on the way to dix - all great. so any other spots you guys enjoy? i need to find a place sunday to hang out. i haven't swam all summer and i really want to take advantage of the heat. i live in albany so if you have any suggestions please pass along your favorite swimming holes! also,does anyone know if they have canoe rentals on indian lake?

I've got several excellent swimming holes in my home range but I'm not giving them up ;). I'm glad to see they're not on swimmingholes.org either!
-vegematic

Swimmingholes.org says that Split Rock Falls is closed to swimming, but I have seen plenty of people swimming there this summer, so I don't think that's current or enforced. Also, it should be noted that SRF is only dangerous in the upper pools, and then only at high water. That's where the drownings have occured. The bottom pool is like a baby wading pool, with flat water ranging from 7 feet to just a few inches deep, and is perfectly safe.

There are a couple additional spots a few hundred feet downstream; park for SRF, and then walk down the road along the wall until you see the obvious paths down to the river.

Another favorite spot is Dipper Brook Falls, about a quarter mile up Dipper Brook from route 73. Very cold; several small holes and waterfalls.

We swam in Chapel Pond on Sunday. Nice and warm on the surface (finally), but you can still put your feet in that freezing water about 4 feet down.

TCD