Caulkins Brook approach to Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
Does anyone have handy the time/distance/ascent info for doing Donaldson, Emmons and Seward via the Caulkins Brook trail?

I read the Adirondack Journey description of this herdpath (which is good) but doesn't have all the info I'm looking for. It mentions that the herdpath comes within a minute north of the summit of Donaldson. I am assuming that means that it intersects the ridge herdpath there?

I had been planning the Sewards as an overnighter, but now am thinking of splitting it into two day trips. I was thinking that the Caulkins Brook approach might be a quicker way to go for the ridge peaks.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer!

See if this Helps:

Caulkins Brook Route into Sewards: Distance/Elevation/Time

Approach from Trail Head to Donaldson: ~6.25 mi, 2350 ft elevation gain, ~4hr

Donaldson to Emmons: ~1mi, 325 ft elevation loss, 275 ft gain, ~45min

Return to Donaldson

Donaldson to Seward: ~1.25mi, 200 ft elev. loss, 100 ft gain to subpeak, 75 ft loss, 400 ft gain to peak, ~1.5hr

Down via Normal Route: ~7.25mi, 2650 ft elev loss, ~4hr

crazymama said:
Does anyone have handy the time/distance/ascent info for doing Donaldson, Emmons and Seward via the Caulkins Brook trail?

I read the Adirondack Journey description of this herdpath (which is good) but doesn't have all the info I'm looking for. It mentions that the herdpath comes within a minute north of the summit of Donaldson. I am assuming that means that it intersects the ridge herdpath there?

I had been planning the Sewards as an overnighter, but now am thinking of splitting it into two day trips. I was thinking that the Caulkins Brook approach might be a quicker way to go for the ridge peaks.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer!

can't help you out, but me wifey and i are heading up tonight. we're staying at one of the lean-tos, hopefully anyway..

mayber we'll see you up on the ridge tomorrow!!!

crazymama said:
It mentions that the herdpath comes within a minute north of the summit of Donaldson. I am assuming that means that it intersects the ridge herdpath there?

Yes, the caulkins brook path intersects the ridge path just a few minutes below the Donaldson summit. You shouldn't miss it, the path's well used and pretty 'obvious'.

It's reasonable to do these as a LONG dayhike (all 4, not just the 3) depending on your willingness to hike out in the dark. You can definitely do the 3 in a day with time to spare. Donaldson and Emmons will be 'cake' compared to the climb up and over Seward, which is challenging in spots (especially after doing the previous 2). Donaldson and Seymour have the best views, IMO. Caulkins brook is a varied trail with moments of beauty, but the trail down from Seward was the most scenic.

I had fun climbing in the Sewards and expect to be back there sometime next spring/summer for the weekend. There are a few water sources on the ridge only if there's been any wet weather of-late. Like any ridge, though, if it's been dry (as it has been for the most part this week) water will be in short supply. Last stop up caulkins brook is 3156 feet, if you reach the field of blow down you just passed it. Caulkins brook shaves a few miles and hundreds of feet elevation off doing the trip across and back over the ridge.

coordinates for last significant water heading up caulkins brook:

LASTH2O,44,09.690,-74,13.312,3156,07/04/2004,17:13:16

Last edited:
We did this with a group of 11 that was relatively slow last weekend. It took about 3.5 hours to summit Donaldson via Calkins Brook and then we got pretty slow, going over to Emmons, then back over Donaldson to Seward and down from Seward to the Ward Brook Trail. It was about 12.5-13 hours total.

cm,

I'm a big fan of the CBT. I thought it was a wonderful trail, especially when compared to the north side of Seward. I'm not sure one could add Seymour into the equation from there, unless you're under 30, cut and buff.
The trail intersects the ridge trail where the ridge trail stops climbing from Seward. The best view on the ridge is right there. To the north is Seward, with it's massive glacial erratic poised on the edge of its southeast face. To the southwest is a great view of Long Lake and Tupper Lake.
IMHO, the trail on the north side of Seward is one way, downhill. Its a mud hole!

Thanks!!

Thanks for the great info...it was just what I was looking for.

I don't know what I was thinking, as I envisioned going back down the Caulkins Brook Trail, but I guess its obvious that you would want to do this in a loop by heading down from Seward to meet the trail with the lean-tos, and then head back.

ADacker...have a good trip. I can't make it this weekend (planning on next weekend).

Last edited:
Seward range

Hi Crazymama,

We just come back from this range a couple hours before.

We started at 7 a.m. this morning, after 1 hour 36 We arrived at the junction trail to go up Seymour.
We took 54 minutes to catch the summit.
We go directely by bushike to Seward and catched the top 2 hours 4 minutes later.
At this time the rain started, We need 45 minutes to go in Donaldson and 35 minutes more to go in Emmons, approximately the same time to return in Donaldson.
At this time We have 2 hour 10 minutes to made the round trip in 9 hours.
We took the decision to do not check the time before We will arrive at the parking....
We go down by Calkin Brook path.
When We stop the clock: good surprise!!!
We broke the precedend record of 9 hours 12 minutes by 26 minutes!!!
The new Pinpin's record for the Seward 4 peaks is now 8 hours 46 minutes...the hear rate was average of 113.
The bar is higher now...for us and may be for the other hiker, We never run just fast hike.

If You need more information just e-mail us.;)

There you go Crazymama. We all expect 8 hours and 45 minutes for all four Sewards now ... :p

Oh, and to head down the Seward trail instead of back to Caulkins and out???? With this rainy summer???? I wouldn't send my worst enemy down that route instead of back to the lovely CB. This summer alone 8 people have been swallowed up by the stinking mud pits and their bodies have yet to be found.

Congratulations PIN PIN!!

I can only dream about hiking the peaks at your speed. I DO love reading about your incredible treks through the hills.

BTW, we passed each other on July 18. You were coming down Gray, and I was going up. Didn't realize it was you at the time. Hope our paths cross again.

CM

Doc McPeak said:
This summer alone 8 people have been swallowed up by the stinking mud pits and their bodies have yet to be found.

Thanks for the warning. I didn't realize the trail was so bad. After hiking the Santanonis recently, I'd be pretty happy to avoid the mud if at all possible.

Pinpin, I saw your log today for the Santanonis -- 7:59, VERY impressive!

related: I'm not 'cut and buff', and I was able to do all 4 in a LONG day. 18.5 miles, 16 hours. There were frequent water and food breaks, some time to chat with other hikers on the trail. Had sun on Seymour, then needed the headlamp at the bottom. I think it's less a matter of fitness and more a matter of being willing to spend the entire day doing the hike thing.