Adirondack reading list.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'm interested in reading about any aspect of the Adirondacks. (Geology, history, off-beat stuff -anything) So far, I haven't read a thing. What are your suggestions?

"The Adirondack Reader," an anthology compliled and edited by Paul Jamieson will get you started. Another favorite is "Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks," a personal account by James R. Burnside.

Those two books together only brush against the surface of Adirondack reading possibilities.

G.

Geology: Geology of the Adirondack High Peaks - Howard and Elizabeth Jaffe : A very technical, but interesting look. VERY science based, but it's the bible for Geology in the High Peaks. It's out of print and difficult to find. I found it in our library system.

History: Peaks and People - Russell Carson : Dated, but pretty damn good. Also; Of the summits, Of the forests - A 46ers publication : Lots of good info on the peaks and a history of the mountains and 46er orginazation.

Off-beat: Portrait of Healing - Victoria Rinehart - A popular book in the area that was designed and layed out by VTFF's own ADKatie and was written by her Aunt. (Yeah, it's a shameless plug ;))

It's about Edward L. Trudeau and the Saranac Lake TB Cure Cotteges of the 1800's

The Adirondacks: A History of America's First Wilderness by Paul Schneider

A History of the Adirondacks by Alfred L. Donaldson

Footsteps Through the Adirondacks: The Verplanck Colvin Story by Nina H. Webb

An Adirondack passage: The Cruise of the Canoe 'Sairy Gamp' by Christine Jerome

Adirondack Country: William Chapman White. The last chapter “Adirondack Year” reviews the year month by month. It is some what dated but if you spent time in the North Country in the 50 or 60’s it will ring true.

The Heydays of the Adirondacks: Maitland C. Desormo. This was used as a text book for a local history class at took in college. Good starting point to get an overview of the region.

History of the Adirondacks: Alfred L. Donaldson. Two volume set that should be on everyone’s book shelf, it will be on mine again as soon as I can get it back from my father, he has had 20 year to read it.

Murder in the Adirondacks; An American Tragedy Revisited: Craig Brandon. A great real life murder mystery (the butler didn’t do it) inspired the movie A Place in the Sun.