Putnam Pond Trail Work Weekend with the ADK 46ers: 8/14 thru 8/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C.

Reaction score
In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
When it comes to mountain or backwoods tasks, I've always been one who likes to tie loose ends. According to 46er records, I needed another trail work outing to complete "46 hours" for my first 46-R Conservation Award. I hadn't worked with this group for at least 10 years. I chose their Putnam Pond work weekend just west of Ticonderoga, NY partly because it was closest to home and I'd never been there before. It just happens to also be their best outing of the year in the amenities department. It all starts under the "big blue tarp" over picnic tables in a grassed tent and car camping area by Putnam Pond (swimming and boating). After a sweaty Saturday of trail brushing (side cutting) or bridge rebuilding (replacing long stringers), we had hot showers and were treated to a sumptuous dinner of steak, potatoes, corn-on-cob (prepared by chef Ernie) after appetizers of chili and plenty of Pete's homemade brew! Pete Hickey also played and sang a medley of his favorite backwoods tunes on guitar. On Sunday some headed back out to complete the bridge, while others carried in the side pieces and base to replace a shelter privy at Grizzle Ocean (see map) from the south end of Putnam Pond. There was a very comical photo shoot at the privy work completion. Whether it ends up being shown here or not remains privy-leged material .... so stay tuned!

On Sunday some headed back out to complete the bridge, while others carried in the side pieces and base to replace a shelter privy at Grizzle Ocean (see map) from the south end of Putnam Pond. There was a very comical photo shoot at the privy work completion. Whether it ends up being shown here or not remains privy-leged material .... so stay tuned!
It was a pleasure to finally meet you, Dennis, and to look at some of your old photos.

I was kind of bummed out that I wasn't on the privy crew, but that bridge had to get finished. Could this be the photo you're talking about.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/adkjr/ohfan2.jpg

She's not quite as scary as I would have been.