Sugarloaf ME 8/26-9/6: hikes? anyone around?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
Next week I'm heading out with my [annual] ADK hiking friends that now golf -- this year we're heading up to a condo we rented at Sugarloaf. (yeah - I get to leave the house build for a week!! I've missed my vftt addiction bad!!)

I'm trying to get in some hikes. What's around that I should do... I guess one or two 4Ks and some other shorter, nice day hikes.

I'm also taking the kayak and bike. Throw out any suggestions for those as well.

You're all welcome to visit. Get to me for details. Be great to meet up for some hiking... or sitting around drinking beers and blowing off hiking could work, too! :p

Sugarloaf, Crockers, Spaulding, Reddington ... all at your command nearby. Across the street there's the Bigelow loop which I may hike during the Gathering.

For a shorter hike let's say on a rainy day, check out Maine Huts and Trails' new huts at Poplar Stream Falls and/or Flagstaff Lake. A real treat with showers and heat ... at reasonable prices, too. A must see for the green, sustainable, environmentally sensitive personality ... and a nice place to snowshoe and ski in the winter.

Flagstaff Lake is a good place to paddle.

My, you're bringing all your toys, eh.

To add to Stan's post, a couple of miles beyond Spaulding is Abraham. (Abe is also done from another trailhead but it's possible to do it with Sugarloaf & Spaulding)

The Bigelow loop including South Horn (or both) is a super hike!

Next week I'm heading out with my [annual] ADK hiking friends that now golf -- this year we're heading up to a condo we rented at Sugarloaf. (yeah - I get to leave the house build for a week!! I've missed my vftt addiction bad!!)

I'm trying to get in some hikes. What's around that I should do... I guess one or two 4Ks and some other shorter, nice day hikes.

i've been seeking hiking companions for the Crockers & Redington for *awhile* now... Of the dates listed, i only have Sat 5th and Sun 6th free, but would love to provide some post-hike sitting-around beers for the company who can travel with me to those peaks and back.
Please keep me posted!

Burnt Mountain is about 3,600 ft and adjacent to Sugarloaf. The trail head is right off of Mountainside Rd.

My favorite Bigelow hike is the Fire Warden's Trail to the AT to the Horn's Pond Trail......about 14 miles. IMO, a pretty "healthy" day hike, but plenty of tentsites (Avery /West col) and lean-toos at Horn's Pond. This one has two 4k footers (Avery and West), plus the Horns. Maybe one of a few spots in New England you can see Mt Washington and Mt. Katahdin, by just turning around. On a clear day the views are spectacular. The trailhead is about three mile north of Sugarloaf....take a right on Stratton Pond rd.

Lots of options for bagging Sugarloaf.......the most convenient is right up the ski trail named Binder.

Beers and pub-type food is available right on the access road at The Rack. Good breakfast, lunch and dinner is available at the Looney Moose in Stratton....about 7 miles north of Sugarloaf on the right.

If you decide to go into Poplar Stream Hut in the valley, Tufulios is a great spot for drinks and food apres hike.

Golf....great scenery and awesome course. Bring plenty of golf balls....very challenging !!

Great mountain biking in the Sugarloaf outdoor center, as well as trails in and around the Bigelows.

Flat water kayaking is good on Flagstaff Lake...access is in Stratton. The Carrabassett River is probably too low for any white water activity.

Last edited:
Good stuff! Thanks 'loafer for the excellent insight. I'll be sure to take in some of your suggestions. I've looked up some of the topography to get a feel for where things are located. Like Stan says - things are all right there. Not sure of trails, but I'll look for some maps when I get closer.

whichway - be great to share a mtn together. I'll PM you with some contact info.

Mike P - you think I can sprint across mtns like you?? Let's just add *another* mtn to the day hike!! :)

Bubba, if you're thinking of doing Redington be sure to check out Mohamed Ellozy's website for the "trail." Also, I think MichaelJ posted a pretty good set of directions if you're doing the bushwhack from South Crocker.

But if it's nice you GOTTA do the Bigelows!