Pesky Rash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cymbidium

Reaction score
This spring and summer I have been plagued by a nasy rash on the inside of my ankles. I have always hiked in smartwool sox and no liners with great comfort. I tried the smart wool lightweight hiking sox and got a bright red striped rash. The thick smart wool hikers give me this attractive look:

DSCN0312.JPG

The rash happens on both inside ankles and usually fades in 3-4 days but returns after my next hike. This never happens when I hike in the winter.

Since I don't like wearing liners recently came up with this idea:

DSCN0319.JPG

It has been 4 days since my Adams hike and the rash is gone on both ankles so I will know after my tues hike if the cut off liner idea will solve the problem. Has anyone else had this rash? I can't be the only one!

Last edited:
I too am getting that!! Not near as bad as you though, ouch! I was going to try putting some ointment on before I started hiking this weekend, but we never ended up going. I thought it would work like a preventative maintenance. I wasn't sure if it was the socks causing the problem, or not, but now you've made it clear (no pun intended)!! I am definately going to try a different pair of socks next time. Why would the Smart Wool be doing this? :confused: I hope that rash goes away quickly for you. *(sorry, I missed the part where you said it did)

Last edited:
Laurie,
I am hiking Tom, Field and Willey tomorrow and I'll let you know at the end of the day if my idea of the cut off liners work.

I get that, but not as bad you. I call it "heat rash." I've found it less of a problem when I wear a low-cut, thin running sock as a liner a looser fit to the part of the sock that runs up my leg.

Last edited:
Where I come from we put Bag Balm on everything...seems to work. Free advise. (then again one always gets whatthey pay for)

I get a rash just like that, but its in a location hard to photograph, and, one in which I would never post anyway. I seem more prone to it as I have gotten older. No idea why age would be a factor, but nonetheless, it seems to be.

To counter it I wear wicking clothing in that area, and, in the past have used cortisone cream. That worked initially, but recently hasn't. I now use good ol' Desitin, or its generic equivalent. That seems to have helped immensely, and it was all my wife's idea.

My Mom and Dad used to call it "Prickly Heat." I think it's also called Miliaria.

Goggle it and you'll find pictures similar to yours.

Hot and humid weather seem to be the culprits. Bring on the snow.

I have had that kind of a rash; my theory for myself is that I may be slightly allergic to the latex that is in hiking socks. When I tuck my nylon pants into the inside of my hiking sox, so that they are next to my bare skin, I don't get this rash. I do this because of ticks, having just taken doxycycline for Lyme.

It mainly happens in summer time, when it is hot and humid. Both liners and wool socks have some elastic in them so they won't fall down. Not fun!

I can get this rash from the latex that is in a bra. It will be when it is really hot and I have perspired a lot.

I also get the exact same rash, which I believe is "heat" rash. It looks the same as what my kids got when they were babies. It is more likely to occur in hot and humid weather. I have tried various combinations of socks and liners and only recently stumbled upon a winning combination: liner socks and light-weight smart wool socks (I used to wear the very heavy smart wools). The other thing that makes a difference is if I wear gaiters or not. I ALWAYS have this problem if I wear gaitors and have the top of the gaitors over my sock and sitting directly on my skin. The problem seems to be less if I place the top of the gaiter slightly below the top of my sock and then turn the sock down over the top of the gaiter. Probably defeats the purpose of the gaiters, but the rash is VASTLY improved - and in some cases - gone altogether.

I have had that kind of a rash; my theory for myself is that I may be slightly allergic to the latex that is in hiking socks. When I tuck my nylon pants into the inside of my hiking sox, so that they are next to my bare skin, I don't get this rash. I do this because of ticks, having just taken doxycycline for Lyme.

It mainly happens in summer time, when it is hot and humid. Both liners and wool socks have some elastic in them so they won't fall down. Not fun!

I can get this rash from the latex that is in a bra. It will be when it is really hot and I have perspired a lot.
It could also be due to the pressure caused by the latex rather than the latex itself. (Plus, of course, the perspiration.)

I wear wool socks (Smartwool liner) all the time when not hiking and have no problem. However, I sometimes get a rash at the top of my socks (the tightest part) when summer hiking (Smartwool liner + Smartwool outer). There is more sweat involved when hiking and the hiking socks are tighter than the non-hiking socks. Sweat and pressure?

Doug

Boot Rash

I 've also had the exact same rash after long hikes during hot and humid weather the past 2 summers and have always worn smart wool or LL Bean socks. After reading this thread I am beginning think that could be the culprit.

Fortunately, it always goes away within a few days; no itch or pain just nasty looking.

But I also attributed it to possibly having my boots laced to tight. Curious to see if the liners help you on your next hike.

Little D:)

Nasty Rash or Help I'm Allergic to my socks part 2

Thanks all for your input! This quote by DougPaul seems to sum up the gist of the problem. Good news! The cut off liners did the trick. Great hike yesterday and no pesky rash. Hope to see some of you on the trails someday!

It could also be due to the pressure caused by the latex rather than the latex itself. (Plus, of course, the perspiration.)

I wear wool socks (Smartwool liner) all the time when not hiking and have no problem. However, I sometimes get a rash at the top of my socks (the tightest part) when summer hiking (Smartwool liner + Smartwool outer). There is more sweat involved when hiking and the hiking socks are tighter than the non-hiking socks. Sweat and pressure?

Doug