Headache while hiking. If not dehydration, then what?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Sabrina's list was pretty good, but would like add two more possibilities:

One, I see shoulder tension mentioned...check your chest strap and be sure it's not too tight. I found in the past I would cinch it up good and tight, and it caused shoulder pain, then neck pain, and eventually a headache.

And two, and I didn't see this mentioned...check your blood sugar. I see that you seem to be eating OK, but if you have an underlying issue (I myself am hypoglycemic) then your sugar may be dropping too low, which might cause a headache. I find that when I take in too many simple carbs and sugars my blood sugar spikes, followed by a dramatic decline that causes all sorts of nasties...headaches, dizziness, etc. If you know any one who is a diabetic, see if you can borrow a meter and check your sugar when the headache starts.

Then - if it appears to be low...as others have said, see a doc.

from your other thread. Don't look for answers here. Go see a doctor. It could be something as simple as allergies or something as bad as aneurisms. Don't mess with it. Get a professional opinion. You're part of this family now and nobody wants to see you hurtin'. Get it checked out!

KDT

I'd follow KDT's advice, as well.

But, one added item: the type of headache you're experiencing and the location in your head. Sounds crazy (or not), but not all headaches are the same.

For someone who almost never gets headaches, I was pretty freaked by some I began getting several years ago. Went through all the lengthy (and expensive) tests and figured out I had an inflamed occipital nerve -- nothing life-threatening

In fact, it's stress-induced and simply annoying and I now manage it by one of the best stress-relievers I know of: exercise, including...

...hiking.

I sweat like crazy, but I make every effort to avoid any potential dehydration. I also eat carefully (balance of protein, carb, fat) and drink tons especially in the days leading up to a hike.
Reading this statement, my first guess would be a lack of electrolytes. I sweat a lot too, more so now than 10 years ago, and find my old stand-by by of just water doesn't cut it anymore for hikes longer than 5 or 6 miles.

But it may also be time for a check-up. I don't have a whole lot of faith in doctors lately but it's best to get the bases covered.

I agree with all that I've seen, except this:

Don't look for answers here. KDT

I even agree with getting a qualified doctor to check you out. I'd just add that many doctors don't have any more hiking experience than the population at large, and many participants here are widely experienced at just what you're going through. Anecdotes have a valuable place and the suggestions here will get your 15 minutes with the good doctor elevated past the basics. Just edit the cases you see here and make sure you've gone over your experience with a discerning eye.

Request a full physical: it buys you more time on the schedule. Write down and edit what's bothering you and bring it. S/he will be impressed and, again, will elevate his/her performance to match your preparedness. If s/he turns out not to be helpful, consider finding a different one. Use local referrals from people with good experiences to find a good candidate for your hard-earned health-care dollars.

I've got a lot of physical troubles, too, and hiking/skiing/snowshoeing has been an incredible boon. The likeliest candidate I see from your responses is a combo of food/drink/sleep/psychology, with emphasis on balancing your liquids (what color is your pee?).

But that's just on-line medical advice; take it for what it's worth.

Good luck,

and please update us on progress: I'm sure many benefit from your candor.

--Mike.

Heat....or Light?

I don't wear hat or sunglasses, as it doesn't seem heat-related... but maybe...

Glare at even moderately higher elevations can often give me a pretty good headache - I notice it particularly on hazy days when the light is scattered and diffuse, and when I am taking a lot of pictures ( taking sunglasses on/off frequently).

Take this tiny dude's advice >> :cool: try some shades!

Some people get exercise induced headacks even if they are slim, trim & aerobically fit. Toward the end of the day of hard hiking your body is under a lot of stress. How many of us exercise hard 8-12 a day?

If it were me it would be from lack of caffeine &or blood pressuer. I take BP medicine and see my Dr every 3 months.

I don't wear hat or sunglasses
Sun would give me a headack and it wouldn't have to be bright.

It could be genetic? How's the family doing? Anyone complaining of headacks?

Monitor the conditions when the headacks occure and look for a pattern.

Don't listen to any of this stuff, Unstrung Harp! It's all hogwash. :D

Your problem is one of two things:

1. Maybe you need to string that harp. They're designed to be strung, you know. But then again, maybe your words do glow with the gold of sunshine. :cool:

2. List stress. Trying too hard to do the 46/48/67/115/100highest/52withaview/ etc.

OK, just feeling a bit nuts tonight. :eek: Listen to the folks who say to ask a good doctor.

New Hampshire's singing has been known to cause many a headache on the trail.

You love it and you KNOW it! Some people just can't appreciate talent when they see it. :p;)

I too suffer from the occasional headach, mostly summer than winter. I don't drink alcohol, only drink a Mt. Dew for the drive to keep me awake (I know, A LOT of caffinee there, but still). Sleep is usually pretty good. For me, I am pretty sure it stems from the fact I heat stroke/exhaust easily. Usually a little Advil clears it up for me though.

Brian

Thanks to all of you for sharing so much insight. I honestly wanted to reply to each and all of you, but (stupid me) I underestimated the sheer quantity of VFTTers who would leap at an opportunity to help a fellow hiker!

I appreciate all responses very much and am going to do a quick re-response below, but then I have to go pack for an upcoming week on the road. Apologies if I didn't answer you below...

The quick update is this:

1) I don't have health insurance or $ so going to a doc is not an option at this point. I don't think I need to at this point, not yet anyway...

2) I still don't think it's heat exhaustion/stroke related.

3) It still happens if I drink less!

4) I do use electrolytes -- maybe not enough?? I use one EmergenC pack per hike.

5) Blood sugar stuff would probably still cause problems even when not hiking, right? I don't "crash" or have noticeable highs and lows.

6) I have tried to tell where in my head it's coming from, and it's tricky. It's not "behind my eyes" per se and it doesn't feel to me like a normal sinus headache, but it is more in front than back. Most prominent quality is that motion and jostling really irritates it!

7) I bought shades today. I have a small head (due to minuscule brain) so even normal sized ones look like those dorky gargantuan mamas that everyone is wearing now. So much for flying in the face of fashion.

8) Family history does include some diabetes, but again I don't notice any sort of ups and downs, I am quite active, I eat pretty carefully, and could not likely afford treatments anyway!

9) I am not terribly list-oriented. I just like really strenuous activity. And views are nice too.

10) Chest strap is fine. I actually like it snug, and tend to tighten and loosen it off and on all day for no apparent reason. I've never felt that it restricted my ribs or anything...

11) Interesting about the inflamed occipital nerve. I had an inner ear problem (two horrific weeks of tinnitus) this spring, and was diagnosed with chronic rhinitis, which = basically a runny nose, which I almost never have. Pfft. Apparently my eustachian tubes were inflamed when the Doc (yep, it was bad enough that I went to a doc!) looked at them. Possibly related somehow??? Who knows!

Two things, that can't hurt, that I am going to try until I figure it out:

1)I am going to try an OTC allergy pill on my next hike. It'd be an easy fix. All the moisture this year = all kinds of molds and fungi are happening. Maybe I am reacting to that somehow.

2) Take an Advil before it starts. MAYBE another if it still gets noticeable. (I'm a less-is-more type when it comes to this stuff...) If I can prevent it, that'd rock.

3) Re-quadruple efforts to exorcise the evil stress and crap from shoulders. It's driving me nuts, affecting my posture, and who knows, maybe it is part of my *%)^*@$ headache issue.

Okay, now I really need to go pack.
Thanks everyone for all the info and ideas!

Peace!
Unstrung

Laurie, what is Nuun???

I too was getting a lot of headaches. I found that if I was over exerting myself, or if I was over heated that it would happen more often. I felt I was drinking enough water, but still got the headaches. Apparently what I needed were the electrolytes. I now always carry a nalgene with a tab of Nuun. It seems to be working thus far anyway.

Here is where a regular theraputic massage can help. I have one every three weeks. My gal works on my head, neck and shoulders before any other areas. It really does a head and body good to have some healing hands working on it.

3) Re-quadruple efforts to exorcise the evil stress and crap from shoulders. It's driving me nuts, affecting my posture, and who knows, maybe it is part of my *%)^*@$ headache issue.

5) Blood sugar stuff would probably still cause problems even when not hiking, right? I don't "crash" or have noticeable highs and lows.

Unstrung, I actually have to manage headaches while hiking as well. In my case (of course your situation may be totally different), I believe it is related to blood sugar. To combat the headaches, I eat snacks with a decent amount of protein in them. I also think that sports drinks are helpful (usually alternated with plain water), not just for the electrolytes, but also for the sugar. When I am diligent about the protein/sports drinks menu, I do not get the headaches.

I've typically never had noticeable "highs" or "lows" with regard to blood sugar, even when I've ended up with a headache. Also, I don't usually have issues on an everyday (non-hiking) basis, but in rare circumstances when I've gone all day without eating (busy busy day at the office), I oftentimes have gotten the same exact kind of headache I can get while/after hiking.

6) I have tried to tell where in my head it's coming from, and it's tricky. It's not "behind my eyes" per se and it doesn't feel to me like a normal sinus headache, but it is more in front than back. Most prominent quality is that motion and jostling really irritates it!

Your description of your headaches is pretty close to how I would describe mine. Again, this is just for what it's worth; your head pains might not be similar to mine after all. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

New Hampshire's singing has been known to cause many a headache on the trail.

Hmmm, this is the SECOND time I've heard this in only days apart! I'm beginning to wonder if I should have chosen to hike with Chris to the Bonds for FOT48 after all!! :eek: :D

Cymbidium: Nuun is a "portable electrolyte hydration". It's sugar free and that's why I prefer it. I am like New Hampshire in the fact that I heat stroke/exhaust easily. I have been trying to work out a few of my own ailments on the hiking trail. On a recent trip up to Mt. Tom I actually stopped to vomit. After that I ate a sandwich and was fine. It was extremely hot and humid that day and even though I was drinking plenty of water it just wasn't enough. I've used the Nuun on my last two hikes and it's really helped. I also carry mini snickers bars and force myself to eat them throughout my trip. I have also used HEED (High Energy Electrolyte Drink) which was great and gave me lots of energy as I would drink a liter on my way to the trail and a liter during my hike. I don't get the headaches as often so SOMETHING is working.

I do also visit the Chiropractor twice a week and I know for a fact that THAT has helped. My off trail headaches use to be so bad they'd make me sick. Since my adjustments I hardly get them at all.

Last edited:
Starbug, thanks so much for chiming in. I will Definitely try this first. My snacks usually more carb-y than protein-y due to convenience. Definitely would be worth the trouble if this fixes my noggin. :)

My electrolyte drink doesn't have sugar in it, but stuff like Luna Bars, apples, gorp, bagels etc (which are typical munchies for me) do have sugar. Maybe I just need to graze more consistently or something.

I think I am also going to get a platypus system so that I can sip less, but more consistently.

Last edited:
Starbug, thanks so much for chiming in. I will Definitely try this first. My snacks usually more carb-y than protein-y due to convenience. Definitely would be worth the trouble if this fixes my noggin. :)

USH - I agree completely with that - and mentioned something similar earlier...for me, if breakfast and snacks are not balanced, my sugar gets out of whack. First sign on that - a headache.

Now - I know you mentioned you don't have sugar problems when not hiking, but hypoglycemia may be exacerbated during strenuous activity.

Check this out -

http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp

Scott