Finished my NH 4,000 footers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
Just came back from a week of hiking in the Whites and on Thursday, 8/5, I, Aaron Schoenberg and two others (Dean Gletsos-70th birthday & Christian Sonne) have completed our 4,000 footers on Moosilauke. Great trip. Every peak we climbed offered views and during the last eight days it never rained on our parade. Very successful trip with a great group of hikers. Each hike had from 2 to 11 participants. And our own Periwinkle joined me and 7 others on Wednesday, 8/4 for an assault of the North Slide Tripyramid also grabbing Miidle Tri on the hike. But I don't know if she will ever climb a slide again!!! I think I overheard her cuss a few strong expletives at the start of that scramble.

Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishment. Moosilauke is a terrific summit to end on. My wife and I finished a couple of years ago on Bondcliff. We'll be done with the New England 4,000 footers in a couple of weeks on Abraham in Maine. Have you considered exploring other areas and completing more lists?

I am section hiking the AT, N-->S and also have lots of other peaks with views (ie. Chocorua, Moats) and trails that I haven't followed in the Whites that I want to hike (ie. Huntington Ravine, Dry River, Great Gulf). I also want to have climbed every peak on a nice day and say I saw what there is to see on every peak, so there are several that I need to repeat (ie. willey, Field & Tom). So that will keep me busy for awhile.

As for finishing up with Cabot, I thought the view from Bunnell Rock on the south side was pretty good and The Horn's view is sensational. I know you said it was raining today, so maybe you did not go over to the Horn as a result, but that peak deserves a hikers visitation. I just did a morning hike up and around Welch/Dickey today, and saw the dark clouds to the north, so it does not surprise me that it rained up on Cabot. At least you were able to duck into the cabin.

Actually I went from Mill Brook Road, so I didn't go down to the cabin. I was going to hit the Horn on the way back, but around the time I got to the spur the rain really started coming down. So I missed it. But it was so cloudy, I doubt I missed much.

By the way, I forgot to mention, Moosilauke was my first NH4000' summit two years ago.

:) Conratiulations to all of you on your 48. I have 36 and if all goes well will squezeze in the 48 while I can still wear shorts and a t-shirt! By coincidence I am doing Mt. Cabot next week, along with the Bulge and the Horn. I hope the viewss are good on Sunday!!

Tony :)

>>Just came back from a week of hiking in the Whites and on Thursday, 8/5, I, Aaron Schoenberg and two others (Dean Gletsos-70th birthday & Christian Sonne) have completed our 4,000 footers on Moosilauke.<<

congratulations on finishing some of the 4000 footers - but don't stop in new hampshire, there are still 69 4000 footers left to climb in maine, vermont and new york for your enjoyment. and one more in quebec that isn't too far to drive to (and in a beautiful area near the saint lawrence on the gaspe peninsula)

Last edited:
In 1983 I climbed Jacques Cartier. In 1981 I finished my Maine peaks, then they did a new survey, so next year I am going back to get Reddington & Spaulding as I do the Flagstaff to Rangely Lakes section of the AT along with all the other Maine 4,000 footers that are not in Baxter or Old Speck. BTW - I hope Caribou Valley Road is better than it was in '81 when it was a rutted disaster that only a jeep could negotiate.

Last edited:
i thought Jacques Cartier was pretty neat - i took the shuttle, when we got off i got ahead of all the "tourists" and hung out at the top for about 45 minutes before they started showing up - then i did the traverse to lake aux americas and didn't see a soul till after the lake (tourists from the other direction) - - - did you also climb Jacques Cartier's neighbor, mont albert while you were up there? it is a pretty neat hike - while i was on mont albert the wind was coming from the north and i could smell the sea air from the gulf of st. lawrence - - that is a pretty nice part of quebec along the shore of the saint lawrence (and with those sized mountains so close to the sea) - - - - - - - - caribou valley road will get you as far as the creek that comes off the southeast side of south crocker, then it is 3.5 miles each way (if you have a 4wd and are brave you can cross the bridge and drive closer for a shorter hike, but i didn't) - i can send you a map with my tracks on it if you send me your e-mail address.

Last edited:
Aaron, I had all the plans made to surprise you on the summit, but the weather got the best of me (I was planning Beaver Brook, and got a bit gun shy on solo in the rain on that one), and I bagged out at the last minute. Please accept my sincere apologies. I put that date on my calendar back in Feb or March when you first sent out your plans.

I will see you at the Catskill Gathering , and hope to hike with you on your home turf.

Congrats to you, Dean, and Chris!

On Tuesday, August 3, I was very disappointed when they called for heavy rain on Thursday afternoon. So I discussed our plans for Moosilauke with my group and we decided since the forecast for Friday was not much better we would just go up and back from Ravine Lodge on Thursday. Wednesday, they changed the forecast and called for a cool sunshine day for Thursday. But my group now got it into their head they were going up and back the Gorge Brook Trail. So we had 9 of us for the hike on a beautiful cool (cold at summit-maybe 45) summer day (mid 60s). Lafayette was in and out of the clouds but otherwise spectacular day. Then at the summit our group split and 4 of us descended via the Benton/Asquam Ridge Trails while the other 5 returned the way they came. Nevertheless, since we went up the short route, if you soloed via Beaver Brook Trail you might have missed us since we went up the short route. We summited Moosilauke at 11:30 AM and hung out till about 12:15 PM, which was about 1-2 hours ahead of my predicted schedule.
We had a lovely celebratory dinner at the Woodstock Inn that evening.
As it stands now I am planning on being at Gathering 7.0 in the Catskills from Thursday evening thru Sunday evening. As for what hikes I do I am leaving uncommitted till the day of. Alot will depend on the weather.
As for Mt. Albert - did not do. But back in 1983 when I was there, there were no tourists and the summit of Jacques Cartier I had for myself at a cabin that stood there. I remember the hike being very easy. I did it solo at the time. I was disappointed I did not see any caribou when I was there.

Last edited:
Aaron, I feel a bit better as I was aiming for 12:45 had I headed up. Only a bit better though as I would have guessed the Woodstock as your meal location and caught you there. Next time then...

BTW, our meeting on Katahdin is stil one of my favorite stories. I don't often get paged ;)

Congratulations! This seems to be the year for a lot of VFTT peakbaggers to be finishing their lists - nothing like a good excuse for celebration! I'll be grabbing the Moose for #48 myself on 9/25 if all goes well.
:)

We'll see, Dawn. Carrigain depends on how much of a hangover I have the next morning.
:D

askus3 said:
Just came back from a week of hiking in the Whites and on Thursday, 8/5, I, Aaron Schoenberg and two others (Dean Gletsos-70th birthday & Christian Sonne) have completed our 4,000 footers on Moosilauke. Great trip. Every peak we climbed offered views and during the last eight days it never rained on our parade. Very successful trip with a great group of hikers. Each hike had from 2 to 11 participants. And our own Periwinkle joined me and 7 others on Wednesday, 8/4 for an assault of the North Slide Tripyramid also grabbing Miidle Tri on the hike. But I don't know if she will ever climb a slide again!!! I think I overheard her cuss a few strong expletives at the start of that scramble.

Aaron,

I hated slides to begin with -- I broke my tailbone on Osceola two years ago & have had a major problem since. Probably should have told you that before heading up the North Slide screaming out "I didn't sign up for a f'in techincal climb, Aaron. Where are my GD ropes??!!!". :D

Oh, and the other outburst was my classic "MF" which I reserve for truly heart-stopping moments. That would have been when I was just below the group near the top on the North Slide when a large, seemingly stable slab tiltled back pitching me off into oblivion.

You took that all in great stride, and were a great leader on that trip. Major kudos to you and the ladies on the trip who all stayed together and helped one another up and down the slides. And to all the others that followed along and stayed with the plan. You were a great trip leader. I'd follow you any where. Thank you for letting me join along on this trip and safely bag the Tris on the traditional route. An a$$kicker -- but the most challenging and satisfiying trip yet!

I was thrilled that you, Dean & Chris scored such a bonus wheather day for the Moose! Who knew? Kudos to you and the group!

If all goes as planned, maybe I'll finally have Saturdays off and can surprise MichaelJ on 9/25 in your honor. The Moose was my first and still my favorite. I'd like to look forward to hiking it on a better route than the Benton Trail!

Again, my thanks & many congrats to you and the rest of the group. And BIG XOXO for coaching my @$$ up the North Slide! You 'da man!!!!!!

NE 4000'ers

After 25 years of hiking the NH and NE 4000'ers, I will finally be finishing my New England 4k'ers on Hamlin Peak of Katahdin on Sept. 18th and celebrating in Millinocket.

Wish I could celebrate at Woodstock Station with other 4k'ers as I have in the past, but that is a little too far of a drive from Millinocket. Does anybody have any good ideas of where to celebrate in Millinocket. I know the AT cafe, but not much else.

My second celebration on Katahdin in two years!
Grizzly