Bald Mountain via Weetamoo Trail, NH, 08/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
Bald Mountain via Piper, Weetamoo, and Hammond Trails (plus bushwhack), 08/26/09

I was originally told of this superb viewpoint by Steve Smith, who wished to remain nameless. I first checked it out on a hazy day last September, but knew that I needed to return and do some further exploring.

Bald Mountain is a subpeak of Mt. Chocorua, located near the Hammond Trail.

baldmtnprofile.jpg

Bald Mountain (from Carter Ledge) with Chocorua Lake in the background

About 30 years ago, part of the Weetamoo Trail was relocated. Thus, it features fairly gradual grades and decent footing.
baldmtn01.jpg

Nearing the top of the Weetamoo Trail, I thought I saw the Weetamoo Rock:
baldmtn02.jpg

I was wrong - there was a much larger one around the corner - I climbed about 7 feet up the front and looked down at the lower half (I was still maybe 20 below the top of it - it's multiple dozen feet tall!):
baldmtn03.jpg

Reaching the Hammond Trail, I descended to the height of land on Bald Mountain, then bushwhacked out to the ledges.

Chocorua dominates the western views:
baldmtn04.jpg

I dropped down about 10 vertical feet lower than my previous visit and found a wider variety of views, from Chocorua to the Green Hills to Maine to the Ossipees.

The ledges themselves are pretty interesting looking. Geologically speaking, I believe these cracks were formed when Michael Bolton first performed "When A Man Loves A Woman"
baldmtn10.jpg

There are also strong views to the north:
baldmtn05.jpg

The Moats, White Ledge, Kearsarge North, Green Hills

To the east, Whitton Ledge and Whitton Pond:
baldmtn07.jpg

Near the Maine border, the Scarboro Ridge (gee, that would be an interesting ridge to hike ;) ):
baldmtn08.jpg

To the south, Chocorua Lake and the Ossipees:
baldmtn09.jpg

A parting shot, Chocorua, the Three Sisters (giggity giggity), and Carter Ledge:
baldmtn06.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report and love your photo with the caption “Chocorua dominates the western views”!

Glad you didn’t mention that Steve told you about this terrific viewpoint, especially since he wished to remain “nameless” (is that the same as “anonymous”?!:confused:).

Nice!

Nice report. One of my first hikes in the mountains ever was to Weetamoo Rock. I looked over at the summit of Chocorua from ledges above the rock and said, "It's multiple dozens of feet over to there, maybe some other day."

KDT

You had a better day for photos than when I bushwhacked out to those Bald Mtn. ledges last month, taking the Hammond Trail from its beginning. (I hiked the Weetamoo a few years ago - big rock.) I learned about the ledges, and the route, from you, channeling Steve Smith, I guess. Thanks again. I'll return some really clear day, I hope.

Near the Maine border, the Scarboro Ridge (gee, that would be an interesting ridge to hike ;) ):

Very interesting, I'm sure. That's a good profile shot, despite the haze.

channeling Steve Smith

...who shall remain nameless :)

It really is a great peak - overshadowed for sure by Chocorua, Middle Sister, and Carter Ledge, but perhaps just as nice when you consider the lack of crowds and vast amount of ledges.

Rocket21,

Nice report and pix, with a twist of humor as always. Although, the continued references to acclaimed pop star Michael Bolten....I do find quite disturbing.:rolleyes:

Petch

Rocket, your taste in music is questionable. Percy Sledge beats Michael Bolton anytime with that song!!! Great report though as always. I will definitely return to this area. Love those views!!

The ledges themselves are pretty interesting looking. Geologically speaking, I believe these cracks were formed when Michael Bolton first performed "When A Man Loves A Woman"
baldmtn10.jpg

My brain shut down after seeing the words "Michael Bolton", so I resorted to looking at the pictures, instead.

Nice shots!

Many years ago, a friend and I hiked down from Chocorua over Bald Mountain. Still in the woods towards the bottom, we looked at each other and said, "Where the heck was the 'BALD' part"? Now I know! :D

That looks like a wonderful trail, he who shall remain nameless offers excellent recommendations, as always.

Its so great that you have the time and live locally so you are able to explore all of these not so well known areas -- and thanks for sharing here!

Time to confess. Those cracks were formed when *I* sang "When a Man Loves a Woman" in my very best-est Michael Bolton voice. You should have seen the rockslide that happened, too.