Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 12,000 Ossippee acres closed

Kittery Point, Maine Avatar: Rapping the Matron CO
    Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    If the owner could be found and asked if permission had been given to maintain trails there, either the upper part of the trails could remain official trails on the TB map or else we'd know there are other trail-clearing rogues in the Ossipees.
    I got the impression, the last time I was there (before all this), that the owners were the ones keeping the lower trail cleared, with a wide, mowed swath.

The article in the often geographically-challenged Monitor says that the summits of Larcom and Little Larcom are owned by LRCT (with lower slopes owned by others), and it appears from the NH Granit map that they may be green space of some sort.
    The summits of Larcom and Little Larcom are indeed owned by LRCT. A couple of points should be made:

1. LRCT is a land trust dedicated to protecting natural resources through acquiring fee-simple and conservation easement interests. Although it provides a substantial amount of recreation opportunities, that is just a part of its mission. Not all its lands are actively managed for recreation.

2. Much of the LRCT land in Tamworth was purchased with funds granted by Sweetwater Trust. These aren't the people you would normally go to if you were planning to build and maintain trail systems. Sweetwater Trust is geared more toward wilderness and "forever wild" management. I don't know for sure that the Larcom property is included in the Sweetwater Trust-funded holdings of LRCT, but anyone interested in making the upper parts of the trails "official" better talk to Don Berry (LRCT Director) first.
    stopher will become infamous soon enough.

Interesting. I always assumed Little Larcom was privately owed since that is a hike we (Tin Mountain Conservation Center) have done with children from our South Tamworth summer camp location on Kate Thompson's property. Guess I'll be asking lots of questions about this soon.
    Chris

In this crowded world, our sense of coexistence with wilderness life can be enforced by heights that are hard to climb. --- John Hay

Quote Originally Posted by gaiagirl View Post
    Interesting. I always assumed Little Larcom was privately owed since that is a hike we (Tin Mountain Conservation Center) have done with children from our South Tamworth summer camp location on Kate Thompson's property. Guess I'll be asking lots of questions about this soon.
    The peaks of both Larcom and Little Larcom are indeed owned by LRCT. However, much of the surrounding property is owned by the Bemis family. Kate Thompson, a Bemis relative, was quoted in the second article published in the Concord Monitor. Here is a copy and paste of the Larcom parts of the article:

"Try not to upset the landowners, leave a mess, or do anything that might cause them to post their land," Garrison wrote.

Only one area of trails, those around Larcom Mountain, has not appeared on previous maps, he said. When he stumbled upon the trails off Mountain Road in South Tamworth, they were well-worn, clearly marked with yellow arrows and unposted, he said.

The trails have since been posted.

"There seems to be a sentiment that locals are welcome up here and outsiders should go away," Garrison said.

The peaks of Larcom and Little Larcom Mountain are owned by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. Much of the surrounding land is owned by the Bemis family.

Kate Thompson, a cousin of the Bemises, lives on Mountain Road.

"There's a hope that responsible local hikers will understand that they are still welcome," she said.

Asked about Garrison's feeling that outsiders aren't welcome, Thompson said it depends on whether people treat the private land with respect. She said the region's long tradition of welcoming people to use the land has been abused.
    I've found her words very refreshing.
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by stopher View Post
    ...anyone interested in making the upper parts of the trails "official" better talk to Don Berry (LRCT Director) first.
    Perhaps one reason that the lower Larcom landowners didn't want the trail on the map is that LRCT might discover it had been extended onto their property?

It's too bad that the TB map didn't include property boundaries as it would help this discussion, but somehow I doubt he'll be back out there for awhile.

Thumbs up

Thankyou rocket21 for temporarily removing The Map in discussion from your site. I think this is a good move in the facilitation of the issues at hand. Also the other "Important Message regarding the Ossipees" tab on your site is well put and sums up the current situation to date very well also.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I see that the "free downloadable version of the map has been temporarily removed" (http://www.franklinsites.com/hikepho...itossipees.php).

This is a significant development; thank you, rocket21!

Did I miss a discussion by the actual participants on why it remained and why it was removed? Are either rocket21 or Trail Bandit willing to discuss this? Has there been a response from any of the interested landowners?

Thanks again for this important development.

--Mike.

I'm just outwalkin....

Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
    yay! let's keep it that way...
    --Jason
    moose plates help conserve New Hampshire's natural heritage
    New book from NHNHB: The Nature of New Hampshire

State message:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/news-detail.aspx?id=213

I'm not sure why the state won't disclose what the signs say, perhaps someone will post a photo

The Bureau of Trails is strongly influenced by the snowmobile interests - winter isn't far off. No surprise the lands are being re-opened now.

Egads, what terrible writing!

which activities may occur with or without landowner permission.
    is not a correct summary of

which type of activities may occur on the properties without landowner permission and those activities that require landowner permission.
    And even that's not great. ALL activities on private property are with landowner permission, it's a question of implicit or explicit.
    Last edited by MichaelJ; 12-07-2009 at 07:00 AM.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

State message:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/news-detail.aspx?id=213

I'm not sure why the state won't disclose what the signs say, perhaps someone will post a photo
    I wonder if they're still working out the fine print.

Great news!
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Recent Concord Monitor article.
    I'm just outwalkin....

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    Recent Concord Monitor article.
    From the article:

Within the agreement, Garrison admitted to marking trails, cutting vegetation and applying herbicides on private land without owners' permission. He also created maps, among them "The Trail Bandit Map of the Ossipee Mountains of New Hampshire," which he sold on the internet and to local retail outlets.