Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 12,000 Ossippee acres closed

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    TB has chosen to take the heat both for things he did and didn't do to help resolve the situation, so as somebody else said probably nobody knows all the facts of the situation.
    In here lies the conundrum. Is there anyone here whom can clarify whether the things trailbandit has admitted to he actually committed or not.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    In here lies the conundrum. Is there anyone here whom can clarify whether the things trailbandit has admitted to he actually committed or not.
    Don't take this the wrong way , but this question is no longer relevant to the communities involved.

It is certainly time to move forward....

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
    It is not at all useful for TB to "take the heat" for things he did not do. If there was actually someone else out there spraying herbicide and acting as a self-appointed trail cutter, then that person needs to be identified. I choose to take TB at his word. And I agree with --M, time to move on. Tomorrow is 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Waumbek View Post
    ... time to move on.
    So you say, but you couldn't resist one last sprayful. I haven't seen what Trail Bandit signed, nor would I presume to cross-examine him. But taking at face value (quite a leap) the Concord Monitor article which was posted here, he admitted to marking trails - very different from "cutting" (especially when those trails are purportedly subject to a hiking easement) and to applying herbicide. The last is one of those hot-button words useful for controversialists. I have seen no sign of herbicide use in my many miles of Ossipee hiking, the majority over the last two years. If he ever used any there (which I don't know), it can't have been recently or extensively. I do know (and not from TB) that some responsible trail-maintainers feel there is a legit. role for certain herbicides that you paint on the stumps of saplings you clear, lest they grow back two-fold in a year. You "apply" those with a brush, not a sprayer.

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    So you say, but you couldn't resist one last sprayful. I haven't seen what Trail Bandit signed, nor would I presume to cross-examine him. But taking at face value (quite a leap) the Concord Monitor article which was posted here, he admitted to marking trails - very different from "cutting" (especially when those trails are purportedly subject to a hiking easement) and to applying herbicide. The last is one of those hot-button words useful for controversialists. I have seen no sign of herbicide use in my many miles of Ossipee hiking, the majority over the last two years. If he ever used any there (which I don't know), it can't have been recently or extensively. I do know (and not from TB) that some responsible trail-maintainers feel there is a legit. role for certain herbicides that you paint on the stumps of saplings you clear, lest they grow back two-fold in a year. You "apply" those with a brush, not a sprayer.
    I have responded to you PM, which is moving on.

In the process of moving on, I reflect-- What is the point of using herbicides in the Ossipees? You would end up with irritating dead branches. According to the TB, in the Virgin Islands, herbicides are even handed out to supervised trail volunteers, and are an integral part of trail work. Not here.
    On the Bananna Trail ridge, TB cut brush and repainted old blue markers on the rocks, and on trees at the beginning, where the trail is unclear. That is likely the most impact he has had in the Ossipees.
    In the Virgin Islands, a good percentage of the money from his map is allocated for trail work in the park. This map was altered by the park service to not include the old roads (trails) that he personally recut, roads that once led to dwellings where people lived before being evicted by the park service.
    The Ossipee map could also be altered, accomodating landowners, and the proceeds used for trail work there. That would definitely be a few years down the road, wouldn't it.

Kittery Point, Maine Avatar: Rapping the Matron CO
    We seem to have arrived at the last word phase of this thread. So here is mine, though it won't be the last:

Trail Bandit created a beautiful, useful map of the Ossipees with the well-meaning intent of making them more accessible to all of us. In the process, he made some bad judgments concerning property owners feelings and, at least based on the outcome, rights. He also may or may not have done some ill-advised, unauthorized trail clearing. He has paid dearly for this and, while he is not fully contrite, has taken actions to reduce the negative impacts to us. And we have paid dearly, as well, with the temporary closure of the CFL lands, the ongoing closure of others and the apparent heightened distrust of our community by area landowners, in general. Not everything in all this has been fair but then, neither is life.

The lesson should be clear to us.

Oh, and somewhere along the way we lost Rocket21 whose active participation with constructive posts I miss (yes, I know of his new site).
    Last edited by RickB.; 01-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayjay View Post
    On the Bananna Trail ridge, TB cut brush and repainted old blue markers on the rocks, and on trees at the beginning, where the trail is unclear. That is likely the most impact he has had in the Ossipees.
    As per my previous note, it was somebody else that cleared, marked, and mapped that ridge before TB got involved. (Another guy I've heard of but never met.)