our 48 finish now on SUNDAY (30th)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
I didn't know how to change the title in my other thread, so I apologize for the duplicate.

We'll go up Gorge Brook at 8:30, sumit ETA is at 1pm.

Hoep those who were planning on metting us on top of Moosilauke on Sat can still do so on Sunday.

Trish

Anyone interested in going up by Glencliff at a geriatric pace, maybe almost four hours? 8 AM start in case Alex reaches summit earlier than advertised. May visit South Peak if early.

I don't think I'll be able to make it on Sunday. Good luck, Trish, and Congratulations on the finish!

Hi folks,

Tomorrow's Upper Summit forecast calls for chilly temps and potentially high winds. It will be a cloudy day, but at least there probably won't be any rain.

The following isn't directed at anyone in particular -- it's a general statement because I know at least four families with young children who were thinking of hiking with us --

Those who were planning on coming and bringing their children -- please bring all necessary layers (including wool hats, layers for hands, etc.) and if the winds are indeed high, please be okay with stopping at treeline if necessary. Alex and I will go forward with facemask, balaclava, goggles, and all winter layers. I may tether the two of us together. Who knows, we might even need to crawl a good part of the way once we're in the wind. We find this kind of fun, but I doubt the novice kid hiker would enjoy the experience. Also, I don't want any accidents happening tomorrow, or anyone getting hypothermia. So once we get to treeline, we'll each have to make our own assessments and do what's best for our own kids. Also, please know that if it's really windy, my youngest will stay below treeline with her father, so you'll have company if you need to wait.

Please everyone, lets make sure any and all kids stay safe, warm and happy.

If it's too windy to linger at the summit, then we will tag it, and go back down Gorge Brook and wait for other hikers just below treeline.

Our ETA is still 1pm. Realistically, we could get there anywhere between noon and 1:30. If we're not at the summit and it's terribly windy, please come down Gorge Brook, we'll try to wait immediately below treeline (wherever we're out of the wind).

We'll stay on the summit or out of the wind on Gorge Brook until 2pm, then we'll head back down.

We'll wait at the Lodge until 5, then head over to MadRiver's, where we'll stay until 8pm.

Looking forward to this!

Forecast for Sunday is looking up - storms are moving out earlier in the morning than previously forecast. :)

Thank you, everyone, for making today so special. It was a successful hike. We had great weather and enjoyed the company of so many people, it truly was a perfect finish.

I will write a TR during the next day or two. In the meantime --

Thanks, MadRiver, for your great company and your help during the toughest peaks. You have been a great friend to my entire family.

Thanks, Susan, for your gracious hospitality and good company.

DiamondRidge and Gwynna, thanks for your friendship and for bringing your girls over to hang out with my girls! :) And thanks for making those posters tonight -- they are wonderful, they mean so much to us.

Bob and Geri, thanks for your support and help during the past few months. Looking forward to seeing more of you in the future.

DaveBear, thanks for your company on Owl's Head. You are a great person to hike with!

Happyhiker, I am glad we've had the pleasure of hiking with you four times -- hope I/we continue to have that pleasure in the months/years to come.

Thanks, Tim, of Tim&Val, for carrying Sage halfway up the mountain today! That was a HUGE help!

Thanks bikehikeskifish, for carrying Sage halfway down the mountain today! Another huge help! And my kids so enjoyed hiking with your kids. I hope we can get them together again very soon.

I'm really tired and I'm sure I've left people out, so forgive me. TR will follow in a day or two.

Thanks again, folks. :)

I am looking forward to reading the TR, but in the mean time, Congratulations!! I have enjoyed following your hikes and progress vicariously on VFTT.

You go girls!!!

They completed it in style!

Trish&Alex.jpg

IMG_0589-1.JPG

Way to go Alex and her entire support crew: Trish, Sage, and Hugh! We had a great time today and it was wonderful how such a small kid could bring together so many people.

We had a great time today and it was wonderful how such a small kid could bring together so many people.

That is really the truth. Here's a shot of the community, 50 strong, Alex and her family brought together on the summit of Moosilauke to celebrate TrishandAlex's remarkable accomplishment:

3873747649_b0a9a1f410_b.jpg

And not just people -- dogs love Alex too (there were at least four among the summit crowd):

3874538072_42b525bf4a.jpg

Last edited:
Can I assume that's Sage in light blue with no shoes on? That's awesome, tough feet!