Time for New Boots??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavypack

Reaction score
I am thinking about a new set to compliment my Asolo TPS 520s.

Anyone have any pros/cons/experience with the Salomon® Quest 4D GTX Hikers? That LL company is having a 20% sale this week and I am very tempted:confused:

I am thinking about a new set to compliment my Asolo TPS 520s.

That LL company is having a 20% sale this week and I am very tempted:confused:

I'll recommend Crestas even without the 20% but it's a nice little tax offset.

My Crestas are definitely getting worn after only two years. I wish they had a rand over the toe as they get scratched and wet in that area - more so than my previous boots - a pair of Vasques. Crestas, being a backpacking boot, run a little larger in anticipation of being worn with heavier socks.

Tim

My Crestas are definitely getting worn after only two years. I wish they had a rand over the toe as they get scratched and wet in that area - more so than my previous boots - a pair of Vasques. Crestas, being a backpacking boot, run a little larger in anticipation of being worn with heavier socks.

Tim

Thanks - that is what I don't like about my beloved Asolo - the toes get destroyed easily. I guess I could also just pickup my feet a little more:D

I have not been impressed with my most recent pair of Asolo's, which are now shot in less than two seasons (huge chips out of the soles, blown seams all around the uppers, etc.). Almost as bad as my "award-winning" Lowa Vertex a few years ago (Outside Magazine's "boot of the year"), but nothing could be as bad as those overpriced klunkers. So, I am in the market for a new pair of hiking boots also (cannot be too light weight, as I need the ankle support).

Scarpa

Personally I prefer the "Scarpa" boots. I also like a heavy weight boot and have had a pair of "Fabiano's (Scarpa's are made by the same company) that I purchased in '77 and still take out on the trails now and then. I have put 5 pair of Vibram lug soles on them and they have well over 1500 miles on them. I did purchase some Asolo's but have been very disappointed in the way they wear.

I have put the Scarpa's on my wish list!

Last edited:
Salomons

Don't know about that particular model of Salomons, but I'm currently using an older model which I quite like. I especially like the "stickiness" of the Contagrip soles when it comes to scrambling and rock-hopping across streams.