A Smith/Dickerman Type Book for the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
Good morning,

I have been trying to find a comprehensive guide to the Adirondack 46 similar to the wonderful book written by Smith and Dickerman. Anyone know of a comparable guide?

Thanks,

Pat

Barbara McMartin is your friend. She's got a whole series (sorry, the DAKs are too large for one volume) and is the gold standard.

I think there's also a "Fifty Hikes"-type series for the DAKs. Very good.

There's also of course the Adirondack Mountain Club version of the AMC White Mountain Guide.

You'll get a lot of good responses on this; very good stuff!

Lastly, maybe a moderator can move this to the NY section.

Good luck!

--Mike.

Depends on what you want...if you want a pretty overview, then Burnside is it. If you want comprehensive trail guides, the ADK books are more like the White Mountain Guide. And if you want something in between, then McMartin/Ingersoll's books are the way to go.

James R. Burnside’s book is probably the closest, but pretty out-of-date by now. I still like to review it before an Adirondack hike, though. A real inspiration for me.

The McMartin books are currently being updated by Bill Ingersoll. I picked up Volume 10, Northeastern Adirondacks, in July; the new edition just came out this year. The Discover the Adirondacks books are trail and off-trail guides, though, rather than mountain guides. That is, they concentrate on telling you how to go, rather than the history and minutiae of the High Peaks.

For straight facts about trails, parking, distances and elevation, etc, get the ADK guide to the High Peaks region. I didn't care for the "Discover" series; too many errors, wrong driving directions, and guesswork (although it's been many years since I have read one, and I hear they've improved).

On the other end of the spectrum, the 46ers print a book every few years (I think the last one was last year) with profiles and histories of the peaks, and info about the latest finishers. Might be hard to find...

TCD

I think we’re still waiting for the new edition to come out. I haven’t gotten anything in the mail announcing its availability, anyway.

Actually, at this point, I’m hoping it doesn’t come out for another year or so, so my son can get his name in it, too.

A great online guide to just the 46 high peaks is:

http://www.adirondackjourney.com/

Very detailed information about not only the peaks themselves but the approach as well as the trail heads and parking areas.

Very helpful in planning any trip to the 46.

The only criticism I have about www.adirondackjourney.com is that he describes many hikes as backpacks that are reasonable dayhikes for fit people, so while his info is good, its geared toward base level peakbaggers, IMHO.

Also, and this may have been updated since I used his directions the first time I went to Upper Works, but the landmark signs he referenced were no longer there.

Otherwise, a great resource, I especially like his terrain pictures, very useful.