Huntington's vs Castle trails?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all

FINALLY got to hike Katahdin on Friday (OMG...what a DAY!)...we did Chimney, Castle, Knife's edge, and then down Helon Taylor.

So, we're feeling a bit more daring and want to do Washington on Saturday...via Huntington's Ravine...

As we are cautious hikers...we are looking for a bit of info on Huntingtons:

Using the Castle trail/Knife's Edge trail as kind of a reference...what is Huntington's like? We've heard its the hardest in the Whites?

Thanks for the info.

There are basically two types of challenging spots in Huntingtons:

1. From the top of the Fan you have to ascend a fairly steeply sloping ledge where there is a minimum things to grab onto. Basically you have to rely on the soles of your boots not slipping. You definitely don't want to attempt this pitch if it's at all wet. There is a crack you can follow for part of it that section that you can grab if you start to lose your nerve.

2. Above this section are a couple spots that qualify as simple, non-technical rock climbing. These are comparable to the scrambles on either side of the col between Pamola and Chimney peak - challenging but not terribly scarey for most people.

Oh, and I think you probably mean the Cathedral Trail, not the Castle Trail on Katahdin.

Compared to your loop at Baxter, the only major difference is the open slab section on Huntingtons. There are some rough spots in the rocks to use but essentially you need to go up an open slab with no great handholds. To some this feels a lot more exposed as its bascially how good is the traction of your boots and how good you placement is. Once you clear the slabs, the rest is nothing you havent seen on your Baxter loop, a lot of pulling youself up rocky chutes. In general it usually takes many folks a lot longer than expected to climb up to Alpine Garden.

IIRC, there are handholds at the "blank" section. Over on the right (ascending) there is an inside corner (also called an "open book") with a crack at the back--stick your fingers in, lean back (to push your feet into the slab), and walk up. Rock climbers call this move a lay-back (or lie-back, British).

In spite of the guidebook, I have done this trail wet and both ascending and descending. The slab section is more scary to some (due to some exposure) than difficult.

If you were halfway comfortable with the Knife Edge, I wouldn't worry.

Doug

I just hiked Huntington Ravine a couple of weeks ago... the fan portion is very similar to the Cathedral Trail on Katahdin -- just lots of big boulders you climb over. (You can avoid much of this by following the blazed trail around it, but most just went straight up on the day we hiked it.)

The slab mentioned above was the hardest part for me. It was wet in the wrong places near the bottom and there was a crucial foothold that was wet. I'm short so I couldn't reach it to make sure my foot wouldn't slip off. I just had to jump over and hope I hit it right, which I did... but I had to talk myself into it first. :) There was one other spot higher up that was tough for short legs, but not so nerve wracking.

Exposure wise, if Knife Edge didn't give you any trouble, I doubt you'll have any problems with Huntington.

- Ivy

When I went up Huntingtons, the slab was the only worry. I had psyched myself so much that I started the slab already scared. I did slip and fall (my greatest pre-hike fear) but I didn't go far. Friction is a wonderful thing. I do however wish I had shoes with better traction. As long as you have traction, you can smear up it (another climbing term for using friction to hold you on the rock, used for slab climbing)
Try not to psych yourself out. If you did the Knife Edge, you will have no problems with HRT.
Have fun, it is a very enjoyable trail.

A couple pics...

Lookin up The Fan.

Slab section above The Fan.

Climbing using hand/foot holds.

When climbed in dry conditions, it is over hyped IMHO. That is if you're used to that level of exposure. Certainly a fun, fun, fun hike!

Last edited:
Pic of the slab at the top of The Fan.

Climbing using hand holds.

When climbed in dry conditions, it is over hyped IMHO. That is if you're used to that level of exposure. Certainly a fun, fun, fun hike!

Unfortunately...can't get the pictures. Only have work computer now, which blocks fliker, webshots...but not some of the other picture sites...any other way to show these pictures for me?

Nice pictures...and great info.

Basically, sounds like it should be doable for us (with Cathedral and knife's edge under our belts) in good weather (like this Saturday ;)) as long as we have good shoes...and we don't psych ourselves OUT of it.

Where to spend the night?

Ok...another question

Due to the fact that it's 3 hrs from our house...and we want to be on the trail at 6:00 am...we like to spend the night near the trail head (I get out of work by 3:00pm...we're there by 6:30 pm)

I see that there are a bunch of "first come first serve" campsites near there...but, they all require 2 night minimums for "weekends" (of which I assume Friday night would be considered)...

There are always motels and "hiker's paradise" hostel (Ok...the colonial fort) but that's more than we really want to spend just for a place to lay our heads overnight ($55 plus tax)...

Can you sleep in your car at the PN Visitor Center? OR...will the campsites waive the 2-night min. if you come in so late? Other ideas? (and we've already done the get up at 3:00 am thing...and probably will again...just don't want to this time)
Thanks.

I found this hike exhausting. Stayed in Pinkham, but Dolly Copp is a very nice CG and is just up Rt 16 from Pinkham. I'm sure plenty of people sleep in their cars, but I can't imagine sleeping well in the Parking lot. I don't think it is allowed, either.
You can also crash at Hermit Lake.
Sandy

I found this hike exhausting. Stayed in Pinkham, but Dolly Copp is a very nice CG and is just up Rt 16 from Pinkham. I'm sure plenty of people sleep in their cars, but I can't imagine sleeping well in the Parking lot. I don't think it is allowed, either.
You can also crash at Hermit Lake.
Sandy

So...pinkham notch is a place to stay? How much is it? What are my chances of getting an overnight there if we get there at about 6:30 pm on Friday night (and on and on the questions go)...can you only stay one night?

That is the problem with staying at Dolly Copp...it says the minimum is 2 nights on the weekends.

Pinkham is part of the AMC lodging system.
www.outdoors.org
Reservations :603-466-2721.
You can stay for one night.
I checked and they have availability, call for rates.
Depends if you are an AMC member or not.
I think the price is somewhat steep (between 60-70 dollars), but the location can't be beat. No drive to the TH. Nice hot shower and comfy bunk, and the food is great (BYOB).
You would need to call as this is Labor Day W/E.
Hope that helps.

So...pinkham notch is a place to stay? How much is it? What are my chances of getting an overnight there if we get there at about 6:30 pm on Friday night (and on and on the questions go)...can you only stay one night?

That is the problem with staying at Dolly Copp...it says the minimum is 2 nights on the weekends.

I've had good luck at Green Meadow(Green Meadow Campground). It's just up 16 from 302 next door to StoryLand..

I agree. Green Meadow is nice. It being Labor Day W/E not sure if they will have availability, but nice CG nonetheless.
Sandy

YEA!! We got in for Friday night at the Green Meadow campsite!!

They only have two sites...but, they have a 3-night min for holidays...BUT...one of these two open sites has someone coming in on Saturday...so he gave it to me for JUST Friday.

I'm SOOO excited!! Thanks all for the advice and info :)

Hiked Huntington's the other day for the first time and I have to say it's way overrated compared to Cathedral Trail up Katahdin. It was nice and fun but pretty wicked easy. I was pretty surprised....

-Dr. Wu