Parking at Cog Lot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
There are a few older hits on this but nothing current..

Is there a problem with parking at the Cog lot for hiking? Thought is to park there and head up Jewell via that little path.

If you park there during the busy summer months when the Cog is running, expect there to be an attendant on duty. If you're not there for the Cog, expect them to ask you for $$ in return for parking.

I've heard of a few instances where, on a really busy day, the Cog not wanting hikers to park, even for $$, as they can make more off you if you take the train and buy food, etc, than with just parking. But, I haven't heard of that happening recently.

there's supposed to be a dirt lot on the lower right that is marked "Hiker Parking". The problem is you need to pay the $5 at the ticket counter, which doesn't open until 8am. If you are wanting an earlier start I was told you could drive in the afternoon before and pay for the next day.

There was no attendant, but there is a sign, last time I went. (It was raining). So we paid $5.00 - PER DAY - to park. Your choice...

For earlier starts we have always left an envelope with the money in it and a note under the wipers.

there's supposed to be a dirt lot on the lower right that is marked "Hiker Parking". The problem is you need to pay the $5 at the ticket counter, which doesn't open until 8am. If you are wanting an earlier start I was told you could drive in the afternoon before and pay for the next day.

And, of course, there is the trailhead parking lot a short distance down Base Road. Open 7x24 (closed in winter). Standard WMNF parking fees/sticker probably required.

Doug

Thanks folks. Sounds like the Ammy/Jewell lot would be the better bet...

...and, in keeping with recent obsessions, there's a poo house there too! ;)

The parking fee only applies during the late spring, summer and early fall when the cog runs. After that, parking is free. I kind of look at it as a fee to have someone standing there making sure no one messes with your car. :)

In the winter everyone parks up by the station. However, I've heard you need to be careful if it is snowing as I understand you might find yourself plowed in a bit.:confused: Not all that big a deal if you have a shovel in your trunk or a big SUV. But it's probably something you should think about if you plan to go in there on a snowy day.

Did the Ammonoosoc-Washington--Jewell Yesterday. The attendant in the Cog park was looking for $5.00, but we have a permanent pass to the hiker lot, and very little distance is saved by using the Cog lot.And ,yes, they have an outhouse and it was clean.