Pot farms run by 'bad guys' getting closer to tourist spots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trash and damage to the environment they cause by growing "mother weed" is what disturbs me the most. I have always been a fan of legalization - of course this brings up other issues - but I do believe this covert activity would decline. JMHO of course.

I remember hiking in Glacier N.P. and getting an extremely strong whiff. All of us smelled it and there was no one else around twisting up. We all thought it was growth. Funny thing was that we all started craving Oreos 10 minutes later...

Like whoa, dude...

Moderator Note: Let's keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

I'm more interested in knowing where the thread veered off topic? For those of us who don't inhale, I followed the thread coherently.

If you want to discuss how this affects our hiking use of the National Forests, feel free to discuss. US Drug policy isn't open for discussion here.

I have heard of the situation in other states where growers are using public lands to grow marijuana in order to avoid prosecution. It is good to know this as I do not plan on lingering in an area if I recognize the plants. Otherwise, I risk being assaulted by heavily armed individuals.

... risk being assaulted by heavily armed individuals.
I was talking with a hiker last spring down in New Mexico. He had been backpacking in Texas near the Rio Grande when he had a rude encounter with four men toting AK-47s along with two mules carrying cargo. No one assumes they were planning on thru hiking the Continental Divide Trail. They menacingly aimed their weapons at his head muttering profane references to the Gringo. He convinced them his lips were sealed and they moved on.

... jokingly I got out my cell phone and called, "Hey Cisco! remember that Gringo who promised to keep his mouth shut ..."

With the global "economy" this can happen anywhere. In Maine a danger is illegal immigration. Homeland Security has a strong presence up there and are poised to reach hot spots on short notice. Don't be surprised who you might encounter on either side of the law.

Heres an article with some more detail.

Who the heck wants to think about meeting armed criminals when taking hikes out west?

Bring back the jack booted thugs!

Last edited:
Yikes!

With the global "economy" this can happen anywhere. In Maine a danger is illegal immigration. Homeland Security has a strong presence up there and are poised to reach hot spots on short notice. Don't be surprised who you might encounter on either side of the law.

A lady I know who runs a B&B in North Troy Vermont had this experience last summer.

She picked up three LT hikers from Journey's End T/H and brought them into North Troy. She noticed a helicopter overhead, and shortly was stopped by VT State Police for questioning. Apparently the surveillance people thought she was picking up illegal border crossers. The chopper crews now know her car when they see it on N Troy road heading into the woods and count her as "harmless". By the way, she runs a great B&B and her fee for shuttling is essentially pocket change compared to most.

Her B&B is listed in the LT Guide for North Troy.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lady I know who runs a B&B in North Troy Vermont had this experience last summer.

She picked up three LT hikers from Journey's End T/H and brought them into North Troy. She noticed a helicopter overhead, and shortly was stopped by VT State Police for questioning. Apparently the surveillance people thought she was picking up illegal border crossers. The chopper crews now know her car when they see it on N Troy road heading into the woods and count her as "harmless". By the way, she runs a great B&B and her fee for shuttling is essentially pocket change compared to most.

Her B&B is listed in the LT Guide for North Troy.

I was out there last weekend and wondered if Journey's End was a frequently-used entry point and what kind of surveillance there was. Now I know.

Many large pot farms are discovered each summer in the Eastern Sierra - maybe as many as 2 a month? - within 100-200 miles of where I live.

The conventional wisdom in the hiker community around here is - don't explore remote/seldom visited canyons/ravines/ranges, especially during the growing season. The USFS and BLM regularly schedule cleanup days for these sites and welcome volunteers to help remove irrigation systems and the like.