Dry River suspension bridge - functional or not?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Face

Reaction score
I was in the DRWA earlier this summer and the suspension bridge was out, with a big, bad, threatening sign saying if you go across it, you could go to jail and shell out $5,000 fine.

Does anyone know if this is opened or is it still in the broken state?

thanks.

I was in the DRWA earlier this summer and the suspension bridge was out, with a big, bad, threatening sign saying if you go across it, you could go to jail and shell out $5,000 fine.

Does anyone know if this is opened or is it still in the broken state?

thanks.

I hiked it on August 16 and it was still closed

Still Closed

Made the river crossing yesterday (sketchy) and the bridge was still out. Funny, on one side the sign says it is closed until further notice and on the other side, the sign says that it will not be repaired.

Like an ass, I walked across it on my way into the wilderness. I know enough about construction, so I felt safe enough (and I love to be an ass), but for some reason on the way out, I avoided it. It looked worse for some reason. I noticed a lot more cracks and damage. I do not recommend using it. I am sorry, very very sorry. I will never be an ass again.

After crossing the river where the old blazes are, I felt as though it would have been safer taking the bridge. Some slippery rocks, and with a full pack...I know there are going to be some falls.

I also kind of like the idea of removing the bridge. I saw very few people last week, and I was wondering if the ailing bridge kept some away.

Huh!

Interesting. I did think that is was odd that they had printed two different signs with different messages. Maybe they were indecisive at the time!

I can't imagine crossing that section of river in high water.

Interesting. I did think that is was odd that they had printed two different signs with different messages. Maybe they were indecisive at the time!
Maybe they couldn't cross the bridge to change the sign on the other side... :)

I can't imagine crossing that section of river in high water.
Me neither--I've crossed the bridge in winter with a medium flow (before the flood damage). I think we would have turned back without the bridge.

Doug

i inquired by e-mail the other week about the status of the bridge with my adopt a trail supervisor at the saco ranger station. the response i got was something like "no bridge yet, sorry". not a lot of info. and i'm taking that to mean no one should hold their breath. i'm personally hoping it will be fixed soon as i'm tiring of hiking the edmands path (as nice a path as it may be) to reach my adopted trail. i don't take the risk that the crossing will be impassable or unexceptably dangerous.

bryan

Nice Trail!

Love the Eisenhower trail. One of my favorites. Can't remember if I had an opinion on its condition, otherwise I would give you my thoughts, but I really thought it was a great trail and remote-feeling. Spent two weeks out there total this summer and hiked it all (Dry River Wilderness). Great time!

I think if you took your boots off, you could cross dry river with little problem. Rock hopping is a bit more sketchy. Slippery rocks and a little to far to jump make the experience questionable.

We've been out there a couple of times in the past 2 months and have seen numerous folks, some with very large packs crossing with no issues. Not recommending it, just sharing what we have seen.

If it was really unsafe, wouldn't they make it a little harder to get onto it? or simply remover it? Perhaps the two 2x4's and signs at each end are just to protect themselves against liability?