Kingfield, ME Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
Heading to the Kingfield metropolis this weekend for a wedding. We have lodging for Friday and Saturday night, but we're looking for a place to camp on Thursday night. Any suggestions? We'll be arriving late, so we'd love a place that is either a short hike or we can park at. Nothing fancy, just a place to put the tent.

We're planning to hit some combination of the Big-E's, Crocks and R-Ton, so any recommendations there would be great, too. TIA

Round Barn is in the Bigelow Preserve off Long Falls Dam Road. Nice area, but not in or too near to Kingfield -- head back to North New Portland, then north on the LFD Rd, then W along the Bigelow road.

I've seen tents in the grassy parking lot at the start of the FireWardens Trail on Abraham in Kingfield. If you are looking for a quick hike (and a beauty at that!) you could set up tent, get up and hike, then head back the ~6 miles to Kingfield.

Sherpa’s spots are really quick and easy – one just over the outlet of Stratton Pond and the other a few minutes up the Fire Warden’s Trail. For still civilized but more backwoodsy stuff without much effort, head up the AT to Cranberry Stream Campsite, about a mile up from the same road (Stratton Pond Brook Road, off Rt. 2) that takes you to the Fire Warden’s Trailhead. There are a couple of parking places at the crossing. It’s a very pretty campsite. For the best in the area, however, invest an hour or two and go up to Horns Pond where you will find the prettiest, cleanest and most hospitable such place you will find anywhere in a mountain setting. Swimming? You just might be sharing a cold water pond with a moose.

If you are cramped for time and need real toilets and a hot shower, go to Deer Farm. It’s run by nice people who will send you to a quiet spot on the edge of the property.

Just to clarify: Different FireWarden's Trail. I was speaking of the Firewarden's trail up ABRAHAM, not the Bigelows (but JohnS's spots are very nice also, just a bit far from Kingfield).

For mine, follow the directions to the parking area for the start of the Mt Abraham Fire Warden's Trail and you will be at a nice flat grassy area. As far as it's legality, I'm not sure. I have seen tents there, and it is within 150 feet of a nice brook, so makes for a nice spot for a night.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since we don't need to stay right in Kingfield tomorrow night, I think we're going to try Round Barn. If the weather clears, it will be a good place to try the Bigelows from. But, the forecast is looking iffy, so Redington will probably be the order of the day. Then it's off to wedding festivities!