Beech/Metallak/Colonel Holman/Pratt (ME)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
..well Toto, we're not in Colorado anymore, these are peaks a bit smaller and there are no pics (the CO pics were my first attempt at posting pics, and probably only time i've carried a camera on my hikes in years)..anyway

Today was a road trip, line up the peaks, logistics type excursion--out the door at 3AM to that great full moom and off to

Beech Hill-(1541') near North Waterford (south of Bethel)-I approached off the Irving Green road and used decent older roads to get most of the way up with a modest 'whack the last 0.4 or so-the top's a bit of a jumble, no views..then off to Bethel, Andover, South Arm (think Elephant of NEHH) and

Metallak (2870')- I drove north of the campground on Richardson Lakes on S Arm Road and found a logging road that carried the Forester toward the peak-the road is in bad shape here and there (no low clearance/2WD or you'll be sorry)-I probably tortured the car higher than i should, but had about a mile walk on decent old roads before another 0.4 mile 'whack to the top--very steep in parts with thick sections, but nothing terrible. The top is flat with all sorts of blowdown. --then it was back thru Andover, into Rumford and then East Dixville where i did

Colonel Holman (1850')--because of landowner issues this turned into a bit more than i planned-approach from Rt 17 and the Severy Hill Rd-a long (8 mile round trip) walk on a very rough/eroded/rocky, hot, dusty road all the way to the top--some nice views in all directions if you wander and peek between the growing trees--much hazier than the last few days. I chatted with a few hosre people who were also headed for the peak--nice folk, local, filled me in on "private property" issues--seems the same mess everywhere--perhaps we can start a 100+ reply thread ...i was running out of time, but decided to go through Farmington and Fairbanks to try

Pratt (1571')-- I took Rt 27, Barker Rd and finally Herrick Rd to jump off point--i had planned a few alternative approaches and needed them as there's a lot of posting around Pratt--i found a good approach road (sans legal threats) and used it to get within 0.25 of the summit. I then encountered some very thick going coupled with "unseeable" rocks and steep terrain which made for the most difficult stretch of the day--especially as i was pretty whipped by then. Found an obvious high point, heavily wooded, no views, but garlands of blue survey tape around the "top tree"

Heading home, i realized that while these are rather insignificant hikes/peaks compared to my recent trip, i really do enjoy the hiking and also the endless planning

...and as i drove across the Penobsct toward home, the full beautiful moon was already well up in the sky...symmetry to a long day

jim

Last edited:
Here's some information on how Metallak Mountain got its name :cool: http://www.bethelhistorical.org/Metallak.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallak

According to the second link, he reputedly lived to 120, even though he was blind in his later years. Wow!

I have run or mountain biked all the roads around the mountain, but never made it to the top. There are some impressive cliffs on this mountain. Hope you didn't whack up those :eek:

Very cool hikes.

Regards,
Marty

Last edited:
M--thanks for the links

-i "whacked up from the WSW; was rocky/steep in spot, but easily doable with care--i think "cliffs" are more pronounced on SE side ( my mistake-corrected after Marty's next post)

j

Last edited: