Fire Tower Long Gone, But Good Views Remain (Currier Mtn: 04-Sep-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Currier Mountain is that little 2,750 ft mountain that is located to the west of Mt. Jefferson and east of Cherry Mountain. From about 1916 to 1934, there was an operating fire tower atop Currier Mountain (once known as Pine Peak). As I understand it, the tower was built to keep watch over the major logging slash on the northern slopes of the Presidential Range.

There are no longer any maintained trails to Currier Mountain. However you can hike to the base of its north facing slope via snowmobile trail (Route #11), and then reach the summit via a 30 minute bushwhack off the snowmobile trail.

Clearly seen from various locations on the Presidential Range is the small white cliff-face on Currier Mountain. Although the quality isn't great, the snapshot below shows this mountain as seen on a recent trek up the Castle Trail. (The large mass of Cherry Mountain is looming in the background.)
100_2474.JPG

The views from the old fire tower must have been stunning. However, even without the benefit of a tower, Currier Mountain still has some good vistas from its east-facing cliff. On a recent bushwhack to Currier Mountain with Zman, I took several photos. The three snapshots below provide a sampling of the views available from this little peak.

View of Adams and Jefferson
100_3007.JPG

Randolph Valley in Foreground with Crescent Range on Left & Mahoosucs on the Horizon
100_3004.JPG

View of Adams, Jefferson, Clay & Washington
100_3003.JPG

So, in summary . . . little mountain, little bushwhack . . . BIG views!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
John I sincerely mean this....you pull off some of the greatest trips ever. You know, I can sit there and point out familiar mountains and features I know from given summits pretty well, but it seems I hardly taken in a fraction of the subtle observations you do. For you to see some glint of white off in the distance and a week later be standing on it....I am in awe of you bud! You love the 'whack and you don't care much for lists. This is the kind of mindset I LOVE!

Brian

Chris: Thanks for the complimentary words.
Oh! And yes, Currier Mtn is a good spot for autumn foliage. However, for even better autumn foliage photos, I think I prefer the views from its neighbor to the west, i.e. Owl’s Head peak on Cherry Mountain.

Brian: I really appreciate your kind words. But I have this “sickness” because of folks like Steve Smith, and also folks like you!
I don’t think you will mind that I quote something that you sent me by e-mail about a year ago. Here it is:

“Is it considered a sickness when, while sitting at work, I stare at topo maps and plan bushwhack routes!? Hmmm, looks like I could use this ridge as a handrail...and oohhhhhh, that river makes a great backstop!

I have seriously come to look at bushwhacking as a form of excitement that can equal climbing to the top of Washington.

My whole perspective since taking up the sport of bushwhacking has been turned upside down. I no longer think in terms of trails and summits. Rather I see the woods spread below me and know there are no boundaries, there are no plays too small and inconsequential. While others plod along to the "usual" destinations it is people like us moving along unseen and proving without a doubt that not all good things have a trail to them.”