Whiteface and Passaconaway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Friday morning, september 4 2009, we leave early our base camp in North Lincoln, to Wonalancet because according to Google maps it takes 1h15. But the way Google suggested, was not the best choice. Partly, the road was almost a trail or even a road that was blasted. Do not pass through the Sandwich Notch Road it is full of holes and it's almost a good way to almost destroy a car or the suspension. Finally we reach Wonalancet and we find easily the parking. Whiteface, by the Bleuberry Ledge Tr. was easy to do and the steep section was not so bad. Even if the summit does not have views, the portion before the summit offers many beautiful views.
The path between Whiteface and Passaconaway is easy but does not offer so many views except before reaching the summit. On the summit itself, also there is nothing to see. The return to the parking, by the Dicey's Mill Tr. was easy.
For the return to base camp we headed in direction to Conway and I took the Kancamagus Highway. It does not take more time, of the road that I took this morning. But a lot better for my Toyota. Good thing we did not came here with Annie's new car. We stopped at The Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln to see Steve. I bought a very good book, The Mountain Wanderer is the place for Hiking books and maps.
For those who have followed our recent hiking TR, we saw a moose today.

Look my photos:

But the way Google suggested, was not the best choice. Partly, the road was almost a trail or even a road that was blasted. Do not pass through the Sandwich Notch Road it is full of holes and it's almost a good way to almost destroy a car or the suspension.

Google is not the only authority that sends innocent travelers over Sandwich Notch. A few years ago a neighbor had friends visiting from out west. AAA sent them, their pick-up, and their fifth-wheel, 25' travel trailer through the notch. My advice to those who end up in Sandwich Notch is to change your plans; do Sandwich Dome via Algonquin Trail. It's a beautiful hike.

You're right: the standard Whiteface-Passaconaway loop is too easy. Passaconaway via Wonalancet Ridge and Walden and then back via Square Ledge is a much better workout. Whiteface-Passaconaway from the Kanc is another challenging hike, especially for the two hikers I once encountered who were using Wiggin and Dicey's instead of Rollins.

Last edited:
For the return to base camp we headed in direction to Conway and I took the Kancamagus Highway. It does not take more time, of the road that I took this morning. But a lot better for my Toyota. Good thing we did not came here with Annie's new car. We stopped at The Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln to see Steve. I bought a very good book, The Mountain Wanderer is the place for Hiking books and maps.

I stopped by the Steve's shop the day after you visited him to talk about a plan for a chaity hike in the Sandwich area in late October and we agreed that Sandwich Notch Road would not be a viable route for that late in the season. But, I also agree with you, probably not a great route in any season this year. It is funny how Google, Mapquest, and AAA all use the same algorithms to choose the most direct route between two points without any local knowledge base. Real Direttissima's. :)

Regarding Sandwich Notch road, I am soooo sorry you took it, but it will certainly become a part of the fabric of your White Mountain adventures, and I know you will be sure to inform others on your excellent site that its NOT a good road!

You and Annie must not have too many peaks left. Please let me know when you plan to hike again, I would really enjoy hiking with you and think you deserve to have at least one traverse while you are pursuing the NH48..I'd be happy to help with a carspot!!!!

Plus..I want to see more wildlife, and you two always see some. :)

Hey Yvon, three of us did Whiteface/Passaconaway on Saturday, the 5th.. We camped in S. Woodstock and basically drove south on Rt 175 to Rt 3 and Squam Lake to 113 to 113A to Ferncroft Road... Basically driving around Sandwich Notch Road...

Nice views on that sharp cliffline escarpment between the two peaks... Nice pictures!

jay

Way to keep harvesting those NH peaks !
You and Annie are really getting in a bunch of hiking. Nice !
I liked that Blueberry ledge trail but didnt have any views when we did it.
It must be really nice when you have views.

Hey Yvon, three of us did Whiteface/Passaconaway on Saturday, the 5th.. We camped in S. Woodstock and basically drove south on Rt 175 to Rt 3 and Squam Lake to 113 to 113A to Ferncroft Road... Basically driving around Sandwich Notch Road...

jay

Thank you Jay.
How long did you take by this road?

Way to go Yvon & Annie! Always enjoy reading your reports and wish you a happy time as you finish. Are you going to try to close them out this year?