Flags on the 48- Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
The hike: Dry River Trail-Isolation Trail-Davis Path
Hike down- Davis path-Mt Davis-Mt Stairs-Davis Path…

Participants: Darl58, Davebear, Adventurous (Kim), 7 summits (Huiyeng), Dave (Darl’s friend) and then Sno_gabe’s group

A few days before the event I had volunteered for Isolation as the original group had cancelled. I bought a flag and made a pole rigging set-up that I thought was pretty good.
I only missed on one point…it was wet as we hiked up through the woods and the dowel’s that were to support the PVC pipe got wet and swelled a little making for a very tight fit at the summit.. With my friends all helping we managed to put it together and was able to raise the flag just before 12:00.

With low winds and a strong pole rigging, no extra support lines were needed. I did have Huiyeng carry a bag full of rope and rock gear for a secure anchor if needed…she also carried up the main connection of the two piece pole..(very important carry)!!

Davebear was carrying the all important food and stove to feed us after such a long hike….:^) The always dependable for keeping us fat & happy!! Steaks, chicken, cheese, wine were served at the summit!! Yummm!!

Sno_gabe and his family showed up with their flag also and raised it. His son was finishing his “48” on Isolation this day!! Huge Congrats!!! Daughter will be finishing next year???? Great family and was fun to have the young hikers at the summit.

Time flew by as we entertained ourselves with feeding the Jays..I know….but they beg and if denyed they just took from us anyways…as Dave found out. Robbed by a fly by.

Just before 2:00 a gentleman arrived and I took his pic..not sure his name…ooops
We took the flag down and a group of guys came rushing up trying to catch us, so up we raised the flag so they could get a picture with the flag.

Kim & I got 2 chances to learn how to fold the flag…we did okay but could use a little detailed help???? It was a fun day on Isolation and we all had our memories of where we were that day in History and were glad to participate in the Flags on the 48!

The hike out down Davis Path was long and tiring on tired feet from the previous weekend of hiking in Acadia…(Phil’s short hike)…The descent after Crawford seemed forever but we managed it with smiles. Dinner was in Bethleham as that was the closest place still serving food…
We missed meeting up with others due to our long trail hike out……looks like lots of fun groups gathered…

Thanks everyone that helped this happen!!!

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/FOT48Isolation09?feat=directlink

Great account of the hike Darl!!!

It was great participating in FOT48 again this year. This was the second time I had participated and both times were on Isolation.

The hike up Dry River Trail was quite pleasant although our feet were fatigued from the hike in Acadia the previous week. Darl, HuiYeng and I all had the same problem and didn't say anything until we were at the summit.

We spent our time feasting on the food that Dave Bear brought up and cooked as well as playing with the Jays.

We didn't have any views but we also didn't get rained on. We were all in agreement that the views from Mt. Davis and Stairs Mt would be awesome on a clear day. We opted not to go up Crawford because it would be lacking views and it was getting late. As Darl mentioned - the hike down the Davis Path from Crawford seemed to go on forever. It was steep, rocky and it kept going and going and going.

It was a very long day but so much fun!!! We were hoping to meet up with groups for apres hike drinks but ran out of time and energy.

Last edited:
Hey Darlene, glad I can be part of your crew on your first FOT48 lead trip. You probably should patent your flag pole design, that was pretty solid and easy to set up, probably need to wrap the wood with plastic bag or replace them with PVC to prevent swelling?

Anyway, I have to go back to the southern section of Davis Path and do the Stairs and Davis again, I can imagine the foliage from the ledge would be absolutely gorgeous.

Here are couple of pictures I took from the day.

Nice !
Good job with the flag set-up Darlene!
Did you ask for an axe too ?

Davebear, thanks for feeding my girls. You are my brother and mentor.

Kim- What's up with you and grey jay's ?
They seem to like you.

Sorry to miss another flags event.
Next year.

Thanks Darlene for the invite and everyone else that came for a very fun time! Its always a privilege to be part of something beautiful like this that captures how good we are as a country at standing together! This was my second time for Isolation as well and nice to take a different route in. On the way out I recalled Sasquatch telling me about seeing a bear on Davis Path. I began to wonder how wise it was to smell like grilled steak and chicken while I doubted my ability to outrun the other four on a full stomach! :wink:

Some of my pics from the day:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/574663375XDMwWG

Nice !

Steve, I always know I'm in good company when my cooking is being compared to yours! Its alot of fun to see just how far you can take it to the woods! The stove was an MSR Windpro that had just enough gas for the meal. The trick with the aluminum trays is one I adopted from Sunshine Chris, one of my many mentors! ;)

Steve, I always know I'm in good company when my cooking is being compared to yours! Its alot of fun to see just how far you can take it to the woods! The stove was an MSR Windpro that had just enough gas for the meal. The trick with the aluminum trays is one I adopted from Sunshine Chris, one of my many mentors! ;)

You haul it, into the woods, which is what makes you best-o:)

Good show, Iso crew! Sorry that I bailed on the DRT, but I decided to take the Ammy up to Monroe, and then back down again for the comraderie at that point, including pops at the Ammy parking lot, then more at Tony's Italian Grill in Woodstock. :)

Great job everyone! I need to start going on more hikes when DaveBear is involved. Eventually he's going to upgrade to carrying a full size Weber grill on his back and opening up a trail side "Roach coach" :eek: Well, probably not...

Petch

Nice !
Good job with the flag set-up Darlene!
Did you ask for an axe too ?
Sorry to miss another flags event.
Next year.

I didn't ask for another axe..figured I better space my required tools out.....
Had to go to HD for PVC pipe...they never would think twice of my inquires.:rolleyes:

Steve-o, you know Davebear's going to take very good care of us girls!!
You had to fill in for Acadia & a mighty fine job! :D

Next year...I keep hearing that year after year.......
I am hoping to get a peak that I can hike with my Grandson's up to for flags next year!!! We'll see! ;)

Well done! I've only just spotted this! I guess it was my fault you all had such a hard time. :eek:
Looking at 7 summits track log, it looks even longer than what we did in Acadia.

Oh, I'll bet those two could handle Isolation but they might get bored going the long way!;)

Darlene, Thanks again for all the effort you put into doing this right! Your preparations lacked nothing, you carried the bulk of the load in and out smiling the whole time, and your leadership promotes comradery and a very fun event for whoever is involved! Inspirational!;)

Oh, I'll bet those two could handle Isolation but they might get bored going the long way!;)

Darlene, Thanks again for all the effort you put into doing this right! Your preparations lacked nothing, you carried the bulk of the load in and out smiling the whole time, and your leadership promotes comradery and a very fun event for whoever is involved! Inspirational!;)

Thanks Davebear!! You're the best...:D
I knew I had friends to help out!!!

There was no way I was going to use any of your pack space..you needed it for more important things!!! I can always depend on you taking good care of me and being there for me!!! Thanks for brusing off the tons of pine needles that the poles kept knocking down onto me and down my clothes...ouch! :eek:

Prino: None of us even mentioned it until we got to the top..then we all said our bottom of our feet were a little tender...and yes it was longer but not as rocky!! No complaining so it couldn't of been too bad!!