Pemi Wilderness Bridge Removal Project

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now there's a scary thought. Guarding what from whom, I wonder?

Actually, if you approached the bridge directly from the south, it was impossible to see or even guess (at least until you got up on it) that there was no bridge on the north side. There was also some concern that with the bridge partly dismantled, one of those cables might cut loose and come flying back. If ever there was a time to post a ranger there it was no doubt then.

Comments this morning from one of the Forest Service volunteers working on the bridge:

It's pretty much gone. The two towers came down yesterday with a resounding THUD. All of the cabling has been pulled over to the eastern shore. I suspect that by today all of the hardware will be off the cables. All that will remain at that point is to get the towers from the West side over to the east, no small task. Having seen first hand the condition of the towers it's a good thing that the bridge has come down. It was definitely an accident waiting to happen.

You would have loved all of the knee deep river crossings that we had to do.

Comments this morning from one of the Forest Service volunteers working on the bridge:

It's pretty much gone. The two towers came down yesterday with a resounding THUD. All of the cabling has been pulled over to the eastern shore. I suspect that by today all of the hardware will be off the cables. All that will remain at that point is to get the towers from the West side over to the east, no small task. Having seen first hand the condition of the towers it's a good thing that the bridge has come down. It was definitely an accident waiting to happen.

You would have loved all of the knee deep river crossings that we had to do.

This directly from the scoping letter "A field inspection of the suspension bridge in June 2008 concluded that the wood components of
the bridge, with the exception of the towers, have deteriorated and need to be repaired or the bridge should be closed."

So, were the towers in good shape or not?? OK OK, I get the volunteer is not a bridge inspector...

Last edited:
The bridge--gone, in what must be record time for a government project.

From the WMNF website:

"The Pemigewasset Wilderness Bridge removal and trail project has been completed. Hikers are advised that advance route planning is essential. If you are starting your hike at Lincoln Woods, be sure to start on the correct side of the East Branch of the Pemi River, using either the Lincoln Woods Trail or the Eastside Trail, depending on your destination. Hikers planning to access Franconia Brook Trail or Bondcliff Trail should start on the Lincoln Woods Trail (west side of the river) and hikers planning to use Thoreau Falls Trail, Shoal Pond Trail, Desolation Trail, or points beyond should start on the Eastside Trail. Do not rely on crossing the river at the site of the former suspension bridge. (Note: this bridge removal does not affect the suspension bridge located at the Lincoln Woods Trailhead.) For further information, please see the Decision Memo for this project."

I support the bridge removal and the enforcement of the Wilderness designation in the Pemi. The vast majority of the National Forest provides ample recreation in a non-wilderness setting. I am very happy that the Forest Service recognizes the value of Wilderness and the need to manage and return some overused areas to a more natural state.

I am very happy that the Forest Service recognizes the value of Wilderness and the need to manage and return some overused areas to a more natural state.
But at the expense of other areas, be they designated Wilderness or not?

See my previous posts on the concentration of hiker traffic through the Lincoln Woods / Eastside Trail corridors. Although the traffic across the bridge was minimal, the forest service still expects there to be a need to cross the river someplace, and their suggestion is to detour to the Lincoln Woods trailhead to do so. Not to mention the number of loop hikes that are now reduced to out-and-back, thereby doubling the traffic for a particular trail.

The western half of the Pemi has been overused for years, and the problem only gets worse with time. I hope I'm wrong, but I see this bridge removal as the next step towards the creation of a day-use-permit-system for the western half of the Pemi Wilderness. Every statement issued by the Forest Service regarding the removal ends with the suggestion that users access the Wilderness from Lincoln Woods via two trails. Sure the more "hardcore" of us will just ford the river and tramp through the woods as we please, but the more casual users will be required to follow a procedure (a la Baxter State park) in order to access the Wilderness.

Maybe my specific life experiences are unique, but I seem to be one of the few happy to see the bridge go. Or maybe I never got that memo stating that hiking should be as easy as possible. Heaven forbid people are forced to PLAN beforehand or THINK during a hike, but hopefully this bridge coming down will illustrate for people the luxuries we too often take for granted.

Or maybe I never got that memo stating that hiking should be as easy as possible. Heaven forbid people are forced to PLAN beforehand or THINK during a hike, but hopefully this bridge coming down will illustrate for people the luxuries we too often take for granted.

I think that if you read through this entire thread, you will see that the bridge removal irritates many here for reasons other than those that you suggest.

I wonder how all those who were so offended by the bridge feel about the (daily????) frequent military flyovers above the pemi (and sandwich range) wilderness????? I would imagine that those training exercises would also disturb the "wilderness experience" they so treasure????? :eek:

I would imagine that those training exercises would also disturb the "wilderness experience" they so treasure????? :eek:
I'm in the wish-they-had-saved-the-bridge contingent, but at the same time I wish the military would pick other places to do flyover training exercises. I hiked all the way to West Bond a few years back and was enjoying the summit view and the quiet and the sense of solitude, and ZOOM! along came one of those planes.

Let's just say I am against the blast overs by top gun and company. I also find it shameful that the cog rr is allowed to blast those insanely loud horns from the summit .. I mean you can hear them from 5 miles away (in a wilderness area). I also wish the auto road would not allow those loud-as-heck harleys to blast around you can also hear those from Madison. I think sound pollution is a problem whether you are in a wilderness area or not, it totally breaks your concentration.