WMNF proposed parking fee increase?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Forgot to mention this when I saw it at one of the WMNF trailheads a month or two ago. The posted note had a feedback-seeking deadline of later than May 1 but I can't remember when. (Was there already a thread on the subject? I tried searching for it + had no luck.)

edit: this link is more recent and says Aug 1. Drat.

White Mountain National Forest Requests Input on Fee Changes

The White Mountain National Forest (WMNF) has long been loved for its outstanding recreation opportunities. Since 1997 the National Forest has used recreation fees to maintain high quality recreation facilities and trails. The WMNF is proposing several changes to the fee program and is seeking public comment on the proposals.

Due to changes in the amenities and services provided at some locations fees will no longer be charged at: Sawyer Rock Picnic Area, Elbow Pond Day Use Area, Russell Pond Day Use Area, Cherry Mountain Dispersed Camping Area, Gale River East/West Dispersed Camping Area, Haystack Road Dispersed Camping Area, Little Larry/Bull Brook Dispersed Camping Area, Sawyer Pond Trailhead, Sawyer River Road Trailhead, Signal Ridge Trailhead, Caribou Trailhead, East Royce Trailhead and Hastings Trailhead.

Due to inflation and rising operating costs the Forest Service is proposing to change the cost of a daily recreation pass from $3 to $5, a weekly pass from $5 to $10, an annual pass from $20 to $30, and a household pass from $25 to $40. This is the first proposed fee increase since the program began in 1997.

Fees for Doublehead and Black Mountain Cabins would change from $20 to $30/night, Fourth Iron Tentsite from $8 to $10/night, and Crocker Pond Campground from $14 to $16/night. The Forest is also proposing to add two sites to the fee program: Cabot Cabin would have an overnight rental fee of $30, and a Recreation Pass would be required for Zealand Picnic Area.

During the past 12 years, $7,013,700 has been collected and returned to the White Mountain National Forest . Fees are used to conduct backcountry patrols and maintain highly used trails, shelters, and campsites, to assist visitors with information and education services such as Leave No Trace and hikeSafe, to maintain day-use sites including trash pickup, painting, and cleaning and to address the backlog of deferred maintenance at our recreation sites.

The Eastern Region Recreation Resource Advisory Committee (RRAC) will review our proposal for fee increases this spring. If approved, fee increases will be implemented over the next year. For more specific information please visit www.fs.fed.us/r9/white To provide feedback on this proposal, contact Marianne Leberman, Recreation & Wilderness Program Leader at [email protected] or 603-528-8751, or Marianne Leberman, White Mountain National Forest , 719 N Main St, Laconia, NH 03246, by May 1, 2009.

...During the past 12 years, $7,013,700 has been collected and returned to the White Mountain National Forest .

I would be interested in seeing a detailing accounting showing how the $7M has been returned - anyone know if it exists? I've checked the USFS website from time-to-time, and the only documents I've seen showing expenditures are rather vague.

Status
Not open for further replies.