Hiker Type - Summer/Winter/Year-Round?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you got a seasonal preference for hiking?

• Year round. Doesn't matter. I'm there.

Votes: 88 69.8%
  • Only when it's warm.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Mostly warm stuff but you might get me out on a nice winter day.

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • Mostly winter but I'll spend a few summer days out there.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Winter only - the colder and snowier the better.

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Stash

Reaction score
I'll be heading out this weekend for my first hike since last winter. Nothing has prevented me from getting out since then. I just much prefer to hike when the weather is cooler and the bugs are gone. To me the air seems so much cleaner the colder it gets.

I'm curious to know how many others are in the same boat or in a completely different fleet. Do you have a preference of "winter" over "summer"? Don't much care and get out whenever you can no matter the season? Somewhere one side or the other?

Last edited:
Tough question to answer actually. Couldn't decide between "mostly winter" and "year round." Wound up checking "mostly winter" 'cuz that's when I tend to have the most free time and therefore the most opportunities for hiking. Summer ... three kids ... yeah, right. I also tend to gravitate towards hikes that will be good in terms of "training" for my current passion of state highpointing. Ice and snow and steepness are all good things. Bushwhacking, no thanks.

Tough question to answer actually. Couldn't decide between "mostly winter" and "year round." Wound up checking "mostly winter" 'cuz that's when I tend to have the most free time and therefore the most opportunities for hiking. Summer ... three kids ... yeah, right. I also tend to gravitate towards hikes that will be good in terms of "training" for my current passion of state highpointing. Ice and snow and steepness are all good things. Bushwhacking, no thanks.

Ditto, except I've 2 kids. Main issues in warmer weather for me are yard and family obligations. During the cold the yard seeks no attention, the kids have their school/band/sports obligations and my wife is (usually) content to stay in or do something local while I venture out.

I voted year round but have to say that a certain amount of balance in life is essential for me. If I hike too much I get out of that balanced place. So I make sure there is yoga, gardening, arts etc. mixed in there for good measure.:)

I'm a summer bicyclist/yard worker - winter hiker and my wife and daughter are glad to see me out of the house for any reason at all ;). Upcoming trip is "early" because it's a combined bike/hike with a group of friends. Else I'd have likely waited another month or so...

Year round...maybe 'cuz I'm new...so much to do, so little time!!

I figure, each has it's own beauty:

Winter:

1. No bugs
2. Les "touristy" hikers
3. Beauty of the views in the winter
4. Beauty of the land when it's so pristine
5. I can layer...but, can only take off so much:eek:
6. HIGHER FAT FOODS is a must to keep warm (YEA FOR HIKING IN THE WINTER!)
7. Crampons make me feel like a SUPER woman!
8. No fear of Thunder and lightenting (scare the crap out of me above treeline)
9. No fear of bears...(yup...I'm scared of these too)
10. Food won't melt

Rest of the year:

1. Longer light
2. Can actually stop moving to eat/enjoy the views
3. Fun scrambling without fear of impaling hubby
4. Easier to get to most trailheads
5. Flowers, flora, fawna (oh...except bears!)
6. Lighter packing requirements
7. Food won't freeze...and neither will the water

I'm sure the list for both goes on and on...but this is what I come up with quickly.

Ditto, except I've 2 kids. Main issues in warmer weather for me are yard and family obligations. During the cold the yard seeks no attention, the kids have their school/band/sports obligations and my wife is (usually) content to stay in or do something local while I venture out.

^^^This iz korrekt.

I voted year round, but I tend to avoid the spring because of mud, bugs, and high rivers.

I go year round but there is something about the fall hiking season that I love best. Cool days and even cooler nights. Bug free, I just love the season.

Keith

I'm guessing, based on nothing but personal observations, that quite a few of the "Year round. Doesn't matter. I'm there." responders maybe could've answered "Mostly warm stuff but you might get me out on a nice winter day."

I could be wrong.

Nope...as long as it ain't blizzardy...-40 windchill...or something that will blow me off the mountain...I'm THERE...

Hubby just started a new job...that includes WEEKENDS...what AM I GOING TO DO NOW!?:confused:

Hubby just started a new job...that includes WEEKENDS...what AM I GOING TO DO NOW!?:confused:

Find new friends and Hikes-with-them! Of do as I often do and Hikes-with-yourself. Solo in the woods, especially in the winter, can be quite relaxing.
:)

Nope...as long as it ain't blizzardy...-40 windchill...or something that will blow me off the mountain...I'm THERE...

If you're a hiking derelict, an alcoholic, or have at least modest psychotic tendencies you can come hang out with our little crew at Barnes Field (or wherever we won't get kicked out of). It's always fun to be sleep deprived and hungover while busting out a 20 mile hike with this crew! Maybe Mats will bring some more of those Vegan Gas Bars or whatever they were....

Shake and Bake!!

-Dr. Wu

Year-round, but since taking up downhill skiing I don't hike as much in the winter as I used to, and since a few miserable experiences I don't hike in April anymore. :)

I'll hike in just about any winter weather, but I've come to avoid hiking in rain any time of the year. It's just not enjoyable.

I don't like to start out in the rain, but am not going to let the "threat" of precipitation during the day stop me. Don't like it too hot or too buggy. Also won't drive to the mountains if the road conditions are dangerous. :rolleyes: And I guess I'd stay home if it was frightfully cold. When it comes right down to it, I just love being in the mountains. Year round, else I'm not as happy.

If there had been a "fall" choice, I would have picked it. I love hiking on cool fall days. No bugs, more scenic. I also hike in summer, but rarely in spring. (slush season!)

Don't hike in winter, but do lots of nordic skiing, so I consider that my winter hiking.

Year round...maybe 'cuz I'm new...so much to do, so little time!!

I figure, each has it's own beauty:

Winter:

1. No bugs
2. Les "touristy" hikers
3. Beauty of the views in the winter
4. Beauty of the land when it's so pristine
5. I can layer...but, can only take off so much:eek:
6. HIGHER FAT FOODS is a must to keep warm (YEA FOR HIKING IN THE WINTER!)
7. Crampons make me feel like a SUPER woman!
8. No fear of Thunder and lightenting (scare the crap out of me above treeline)
9. No fear of bears...(yup...I'm scared of these too)
10. Food won't melt

Rest of the year:

1. Longer light
2. Can actually stop moving to eat/enjoy the views
3. Fun scrambling without fear of impaling hubby
4. Easier to get to most trailheads
5. Flowers, flora, fawna (oh...except bears!)
6. Lighter packing requirements
7. Food won't freeze...and neither will the water

I'm sure the list for both goes on and on...but this is what I come up with quickly.
A couple of comments, for Winter:

Bears are still out but less frequently
Lightning can still occur but less frequently

For non-Winter

7 - We try to bring food that is not susceptible to freezing (or at least is easily melted in the mouth), like corn chips, Nutrigrain bars, M&Ms, etc. A snickers bar on the other hand would take forever to melt on some days!

For water, boil some of it first and keep it in a cozy or a good thermos. Have other water at cooler temps and drink it first. This works for most hikes. I recently bought a pocket-rocket for heating stuff as well.

I didn't vote because you didn't include fall as a choice! September and October are my favorite months to hike. I do it year-round anyway, but I just think the weather in those months is the best.

Ditto. Fall is by far the best season for me. I love the way the air smells, the beautiful colors of the trees, watching chipmunks scurring about gathering food to store.
That said, I hike any season, except mud/thaw/black fly season.
In winter, the only real hiking I do are to cliffs to ice climb. Some are a good walk. BTW: I love frozen snickers bars.
Sandy