Hiker Type - Summer/Winter/Year-Round?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you got a seasonal preference for hiking?

• Year round. Doesn't matter. I'm there.

Votes: 88 69.8%
  • Only when it's warm.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Mostly warm stuff but you might get me out on a nice winter day.

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • Mostly winter but I'll spend a few summer days out there.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Winter only - the colder and snowier the better.

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
I also didn't vote because my preference is fall although I hike year round.

I voted mostly Winter,but the few Summer days part doesn't fit. We might sneak out in October,November as a warm up hike,but,Summer,no way! That's sailing weather!

I mostly climb and cycle in the summer. Riding is the only thing I can do in truly oppressive heat & humidity. I do however prefer the cold snowy weather

For non-snowy hikes, I've done three (I think).

As for half & half, me and four friends did Washington late last fall, went from pouring rain (PNVC), to sleet (just past the slabs in Huntington), to winter conditions with a snow storm by the time we hit the auto road.

As for snowy hikes I've done six, with two of those being overnights.
One was the coldest, worst nights sleep I've ever had.
The other night I slept great. I went to bed and there was not another soul to be seen or heard. The wind was light and it was DEAD silent. If I didn't make noise, there wasn't any. That feeling of peace & solitude in a place as this was amazing.
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2271/250/16/1300664335/n1300664335_296346_2283.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2271/250/16/1300664335/s1300664335_296357_5054.jpg

I can't wait for this winter!!

Last edited:
I hike every week, if it wasnt for mountain climbing, I would have no life at all. Wait a minute there!!! Im not complaining, I love it, free to roam is the way I like it, my life is good.

I avoid hiking when it's cold out, or too hot. I stay away during bug season and never go to the mountains when the trails are muddy. Also, I avoid hiking when there are no views or if it's raining. Sunday is a bad day and I avoid it because I have to work the next day and I don't want to be tired. Furthermore, during autumn the beautiful falls colors attract large crowds so I stay home and do chores. Right after that it gets icy so that lets that out.

So, I get out 2 days a year but I voted for the first option anyway.

Late Fall to early Spring, prefer winter n snow best of all.

Once the bugggzzz n tourists hit the mountains, I'm biking n kayaking till they leave.

For water, boil some of it first and keep it in a cozy or a good thermos. Have other water at cooler temps and drink it first.

Great idea!! I don't know why I hadn't thought of this. :confused: But thanks for putting it out there. I'll definately give this a whirl this winter. We tried resting our Nalgenes upside down so that when you flip them over the ice that formed on top ends up on the bottom. It worked somewhat, but the mouth of the bottle still gets all crusted with ice.

I'm voting for year round. I haven't gotten too much winter hiking under my belt yet, but what I HAVE done has been great! I'm going to be trying some camping this winter season as well...that should be interesting! :eek:
As far as rain goes I don't care to start out hiking in it, but if it pours while I'm out there it gives me a die hard super hiker kinda feelin'! It's greeat!

January: Beautiful wedding cake snow under bluebird skies.
February: More of the same but the day's are getting longer.
March: Warm spring hiking weather. Great crust for off-trail hiking.
April: Even better crust for bushwhacking and really long days.
May: No snow (often, not always), no bugs and no leaves. Off-trail paradise.
June: Summer is here. Lighter packs, incredibly long daylight hours, water available on the trail.
July: can hike for 2 weeks straight or more: vacation time!
August: cooler weather, bugs are gone, some subtle color changes starting.
September: fall colors, cool afternoons.
October: leaf drop. Great conditions for Ob-Nav off-trail travel.
November: raw weather, it's good to think about and see some snow.
December: New gear for Christmas, you might get the Sewards to count for winter from the summer trailhead.

I voted for any season. The lists placed by others pretty much cover the reasons why each season has it's perks! I would also add that the trails in winter are "smooth" when there is 4+ feet of snow on them. Another perspective on which season to hike comes from my wife. 5 weeks ago she broke her foot while out for a run. :( She has been in a cast and on crutches since (about the time "real summer" hit). We were working toward the 48 (37 done) and had planned to finish this fall. Her perspective towards hiking once she can go again is she is going no matter what! Life is too short and #%*^ happens.
Get out and enjoy.:)

Year round...pretty much..if it's tuesday I'm hiking something...don't mind hiking in the rain though wind driven sleet a bit much..have gear..will go..favorite time of the year for it..now thru march

I voted year round as that is what I do. But like alot of you, fall is my favorite time of year for the same reasons many have said. I would say fall is my favorite with winter a close second. I really enjoy hiking and climbing in the winter. Next would be summer and last the spring time. I hate the bugs and mud. I also don't like the humidity of summer and sweat constantly running down my face and neck. I still get out and hike some then, just don't enjoy it as much. Feels great to be coming into my two favorite seasons. I was out this last weekend hiking and it was great. And only going to get better.

I didn't vote because you didn't include fall as a choice! September and October are my favorite months to hike. I do it year-round anyway, but I just think the weather in those months is the best.

Right on! I agree completely. I voted year round, because I hike year round, but the season I love the most is Sept.--Nov. I love the crisp, cool to cold days without the extreme cold. The early snows are much more agreeable than the sloppy, soupy snow of late spring.

I was just thinking. Maybe fall wasn't included in the survey because everybody loves fall. :p

I give up!!!

Hey moderators... Is there any way to add fall to this &#$#% poll? :confused::confused::eek::confused::confused:

I am a May thru October hiker. Winter time is for skiing, snowboarding and apres-skiing. Did Dix last winter when my brother finished the ADK W46 and f---ed up my knee. Too much knee strain in those damn snowshoes going downhill. Besides, I like dirt and rocks and roots and bugs.