Emergency Kit - 12 Items - Less than 2.5 Oz.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see a space blanket...

For what its worth. This is the little neck kit I carry almost always when hiking/camping.

Small sturdy knife that can throw good sparks to start a fire. Fatwood, cotton balls with Vaseline and other firestarter to help keep a fire going. Small LED light, some paracord and whistle. All in the picture.

I carry more stuff in my pocket but this is around my neck.

DSCI0242.jpg

Last edited:
I have never been one to want to overly minimalize my emergency sack - it is much more extensive than this stuff which would all be useful stuff. I really doubt the usefulness of the space blankets - seems to me they would blow away or rip etc. Two things that I do have are an emergency bivy and in all but the hottest weather I always carry a Z-rest sleep pad. My medical supplies include bandaids and ankele braces/supports and meds like Advil, Benadry and Immodium. I would like to add a SAM splint (and the knowledge of how to use it) - I do not have a saw - I carry some Esbit cubes as emergency fire starters - they go vor 8-10 minutes and should be able to get tinder up and burning...

I wasn't suggesting that this is all you should carry. But 2.5 Ounces should convince all but the most hard core go-lighter that they can afford to carry this little sack around their necks. And after all, what good is emergency gear if you can not reach it?

John is a local to you in the Poughkeepsie area Tom... He does teach classes, you may want to check one out some time for some ideas or to play around in the woods...

John is a local to you in the Poughkeepsie area Tom... He does teach classes, you may want to check one out some time for some ideas or to play around in the woods...
Yup, I saw a reference to him in a local hard copy publication whilst in the Doctor's office yesterday.

I'm just wondering if there are first aid kits and gear aid kits. It gets complicated to go light but complete enough. I am a volunteer hike leader so my sense of responsibility run a little higher than the average hiker, I think.

My first aid kit is pretty heavy but I think maybe it is because I carry goodies that others might carry in different places. I'd like to lighten my load a bit but can't seem to take anything out of it. Like a flashlight and spare batteries. Those aren't medical supplies but I keep them in my first aid kit. Same for tie wraps and duct tape. And my "kit" package is a fanny pack in case I need to carry it that way. I have never taken a space blanket out of its package and now carry an emergency two person bivy. I don't carry a full pad but a shorty. I have a Sam Splint but have only used it once, and when not hiking.

Two hikes in a row, someone in the group (different people each time) had the soles of their boots come apart, one was in the toe area, the other was in the heel. A clove hitch with parachute cord worked really well but for a minute I considered carrying some shoe goo! I decided that was just too much of a coincidence.

Like Tom said. I am not suggesting that is all someone should carry. Nor is it all that I carry, unless I'm practicing with it. It is the minimum amount of equipment that I can have on me at all times. I can improvise a lot with that little kit. It is not the only thing, that I would chose to go out with. But if I was separated from the rest of my gear. It is enough in the three seasons, that I could make do if I needed to for a night or three and come out with all of my big pieces in pretty good shape and be in relative comfort while doing it, as opposed to maybe having problems and at a minimum being totally miserable.

Things that I carry in a small leg drop or in my pockets include chlorine tablets, one heavy duty 45 or 55 gallon contractor bags some 400 calorie food bars, button compass and other miscellaneous.

I just judged a contest a month or two ago that some boy scouts had about making a survival kit with just the contents that could be placed in a altoids tin. This is a fairly common kit for people to make and there is tons of documentation on the internet about them. There were specific requirements as too what the tin should carry most of them based upon the 10 essentials. I'm not saying the 10 essentials list is the end all and be all but it is probably a good starting point. Some of the kits were pretty inventive.

Keith

I'm just wondering if there are first aid kits and gear aid kits. It gets complicated to go light but complete enough. I am a volunteer hike leader so my sense of responsibility run a little higher than the average hiker, I think.

My first aid kit is pretty heavy but I think maybe it is because I carry goodies that others might carry in different places. I'd like to lighten my load a bit but can't seem to take anything out of it. Like a flashlight and spare batteries. Those aren't medical supplies but I keep them in my first aid kit. Same for tie wraps and duct tape. And my "kit" package is a fanny pack in case I need to carry it that way. I have never taken a space blanket out of its package and now carry an emergency two person bivy. I don't carry a full pad but a shorty. I have a Sam Splint but have only used it once, and when not hiking.

Two hikes in a row, someone in the group (different people each time) had the soles of their boots come apart, one was in the toe area, the other was in the heel. A clove hitch with parachute cord worked really well but for a minute I considered carrying some shoe goo! I decided that was just too much of a coincidence.
Well, your sense of responsibility may be a little more developed than mine! :D

The only comment I can offer you is for a light source. I have a 'standard' headlamp, it doesn't really matter which one. I also carry an extra set of batteries. In addition, I have one of those key chain lights affixed to the strap of the headlamp. It weighs 1/4 oz. If I fell, or whacked my headlamp into a tree branch, the primary headlamp could suddenly go dark. Your extra batteries are no longer useful.

Great comments all around - I was not trying to imply that you guys thought this was all anyone needed - I agree it is a good place to start.

I have thought about boot failure as well - I think duct tape could work in a pinch...

After an unexpected bushwhack last week I have begun to think that a back up compass (small one) would be a great idea - no - we did not lose our compasses, but we would have been in trouble if we had...

Also - up at Baxter last week we were joking about the accessibility of some of our gear - that is a great point - my whistle would be pretty useless deep in my pack if I were alone and fell and broke a leg...

Spare batteries

I've got two plastic bags with various little safetey/repair items I always carry. Not a lot of weight or bulk but it's handy to move stuff the whatever pack I'm using.

Of note are set of spare AAA and a set of AA batteries for lights/GPS. I make a point to change these batteries out at the beginning of the season (about now for me) and check them a few times over the winter. A few years ago I didn't do this and had some nice looking dead batteries when I needed them.

Also - up at Baxter last week we were joking about the accessibility of some of our gear - that is a great point - my whistle would be pretty useless deep in my pack if I were alone and fell and broke a leg...

I used to carry all my emergency gear in a fanny pack, or in large pant or jacket pockets, as it's possible to get separated from your main pack. I still think this is a good idea but it got to be a cramp. So now my (fairly substantial) emergency gear (except for compass and whistle) is always in my pack. Writing this I realize I should re-visit this, as I really prefer to keep the essentials on me.

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Survival Kits.htm

Check out the NPSK-24010 or 24011 models in particular.

Cool and some nice ideas to add to what I carry now. I'd like to see that blow up vest.

Fishing line and a hooK? I'd proable starve to death before I could catch a fish.

SAR If you carry all that stuff around your neck doesn't it make a lot of noise and get in the way?" Why not keep it in a pocket except for the whistle?

Last edited:
Anything above the bare essentials of a first-aid kit, I’ve found is a matter of personal preference. I tend to pack a little heavier than average. I do not expect others to do the same. I’m heading to Baxter on the 26th for a week and I will more than likely throw in a few extra items in my pack because of the remoteness of the park. This is partially due to past experience and partially due to my own comfort level.

For what its worth. This is the little neck kit I carry almost always when hiking/camping.

Small sturdy knife that can throw good sparks to start a fire. Fatwood, cotton balls with Vaseline and other firestarter to help keep a fire going. Small LED light, some paracord and whistle. All in the picture.

I carry more stuff in my pocket but this is around my neck.

DSCI0242.jpg

After seeing Keith's setup, I decided to make a similar one of my own.
The containers are from Bison Design, and are available at REI.
http://www.rei.com/product/762238
With the fire starter, the vaseline soaked cotton ball, and the amount of fatwood that could fit in the container, in a drizzle, I started a fire that burned for 7 minutes without adding anything else. I think its a pretty good setup!

I did have one question, though. What is the advantage to having it around you neck, as opposed to say, in a small pouch on your belt?

It gets complicated to go light but complete enough. I am a volunteer hike leader so my sense of responsibility run a little higher than the average hiker, I think.
Many hike leaders consider it normal to split the weight of emergency gear among participants, particularly in winter. Be sure to hide when such a leader is trying to plant a down sleeping bag or bivy sack :)
I've had boots come apart and walked out on them, I try to carry duct tape for repairs. I wouldn't want to wait out the drying time for Shoe Goo.

I've had boots come apart and walked out on them, I try to carry duct tape for repairs. I wouldn't want to wait out the drying time for Shoe Goo.
A contact cement, such as Barge cement, might be a better choice here. Apply, wait ~15 min, and press together. (The instructions do say that it gets stronger if you let it set overnight.) The instructions say that the surfaces should be clean, but don't say anything about wet or dry.

Duct tape is even faster. (Doesn't stick to wet objects.)

If I had them both, I'd use both.

FWIW, I carry duct tape, but no glue.

Doug

Even better than duct tape

I've found that Gorilla Tape (from the makers of Gorilla Glue) is similar to duct tape but several notches above in terms if durability. Much stickier and the cloth is heavier than any duct tape I've ever seen.

Truely amazing stuff. I used it to repair a leaking chimney flashing. Lasted through a week of rain 'till I could get it re-flashed.