Incomming Weather FYI

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgatie

Reaction score
The National Huricane Center www.nhc.noaa.gov is showing that both Bonnie and Charley may stear up the east coast this weekend after making landfall in Florida. The forcast map for Charley even shows that Charley may still be packing tropical storm force winds.

Anybody else got better information about possible rainfall amounts and likely weather conditions? I am already considering changing my weekend plans.:mad:

Here is hoping we can avoid another Floyd. Blowdown=:mad:

Both Bonnie and Charley are currently long-range forecast tracked to come right up through the northeast on Saturday and Sunday.

Yet, sites like the Mt Wash Obs don't even mention them, simply talking about some weak weather passing through.

I don't know what to think about this weekend - is it going to just be scattered messiness or are there going to be gale-force winds?

Or scattered gale-force messiness. :D

One would hope that most of the moisture would have wrung itself out by the time it got up here. But I guess it all depends upon the track it takes once it hits land.

JohnL

One reason the sites don't mention the hurricanes, & the course they'll pursue is because they don't REALLY know what track they will take............

One thing I learned from living in Florida for 15 years, hurricanes really do have a have a mind of their own, {I'm serious} they are not quite as predictable as we would like to think.

I guess it's like a "wait & see" kind of thing!
Hopefully the predictions are 'off-track'!

Last edited:
I got tagged by the remnants of a hurricane that was supposed to stay south of the whites about 12 years ago. The forecast on Friday evening was for clouds and sunny skies, by the time we got up in the morning it had changed. Our group was in the wild river area and the stream crossings quickly became dangerous. Anyone going out had best have good backup plans and make sure that they arent on the wrong side of a stream!.

Looks like a good weekend for day hikes, or if I time it right a paddle in the new boat

I'm a bit of a weather nerd, so this is an educated guess ;) (I hoped to get out tomorrow but that isn't looking good)

The stationary front is what concerns the forecasters. It currently sits across the eastern seaboard (from Mississippi to east-central New York) and isn't expected to move much. What usually happens with tropical systems is that the winds ahead/along the front 'grab' the system and pull the moisture up and along the front. This eseentially becomes a ringer and draws all of the moisture from the tropical system. At the same time the front already had its own source of moisture (usually from the gulf of mexico), so the combination of the 2 usually result in torrential rains.

Only good news is that these systems tend to move rather quickly once into the jet stream, so the heavy rains shouldn't sit for too long in one place. My guess is that if it rains it will be Saturday AM (Bonnie) and Late Sunday AM into Sunday PM (Charlie). There will be a minor break Saturday, but after Bonnie it will probably be too wet to enjoy a hike anyways...

One thing to note -- should the front drift further east, the Adirondacks stand a chance of missing the bulk of the rains. This wouldn't be something you would know until maybe Friday afternoon (at that point the front will be about where it's going to stay for the next few days).

Thank goodness for computer games :)

Last edited:
I wanted to say all that....

...but I was afraid they would call me a weather nerd :D

Stooopid, that sounds in line with everything I am hearing.

I ask, when will this year's mud season end? The trails were in better shape in May than they have been throughout much of the summer.

Guess, I might need to make room in my pack for the chainsaw for the next trip :D

Well there goes my planned hike with only my little one. I don't mind hiking in the rain but really dislike doing it with Paige on my back.

Hey Harry,you want to do the "lawn" hike at my house too this weekend? it does have a multi-mountain view.

Looks like it might be a good time to visit Arethusa and Ripley Falls.
(but let's keep it a secret)

I'm heading to NH for my week's vacation starting tomorrow. One way or another I plan to hike. It might not be this weekend, but I will HIKE!!!

Need a couple of sheep eh?
Sounds like you are getting lonely in Huntingdon...:D

No Goats!

Don't have any goats or sheep Harry but could send you my son.....he prefers grass cutting over hiking (much to my chagrin)any day. Trouble is he expects to get paid for it.

new slides maybe?

I seem to remember that Floyd and Hugo both caused extensive slide activity. Sounds sick but I hope both these new systems hammer us. We need all the new ski terrain we can get. Of course hoping that no one is in the way when it happens.

Re: new slides maybe?

Mike Hartigan said:
I seem to remember that Floyd and Hugo both caused extensive slide activity. Sounds sick but I hope both these new systems hammer us. We need all the new ski terrain we can get. Of course hoping that no one is in the way when it happens.

You never tried to climb Dix from Elk Lake shortly after Floyd. I've never seen such blow downs in my life. Trees were stacked 20+' across the trail.