125 miles hiking, 17 nights camping, 10 bears, 5 stitches, and 1 street urchin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
Or, what we did on our summer vacation. :)

We had the opportunity to take a month off and decided to split our time between Montana (Yellowstone, Beartooth Wilderness, Glacier National Park) and the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Yoho, and Mt. Assiniboine Parks). While planning a month long outdoors/hiking/camping vacation with a toddler, people thought we were nuts (we wondered ourselves if we were adventurous or just plain crazy, lol).

Happy to say that while Norah had her moments, overall she was a fantastic traveler, the trip went smoothly, and we had an amazing vacation. (I did spend a lot of time saying "Norah, please don't put rocks in your mouth.", "Norah, why are you rolling around in the dirt?", "Norah, please don't mooch food off the other hikers."). And we can certainly attest that keeping a toddler clean in the outdoors (especially on a five night backcountry excursion) is harder than getting Kanye to shut up. :p This is why Norah was often referred to as the street urchin - she certainly looked the part.

The scenery was just stunning, we saw a lot of wildlife (including a grizzly and two cubs on a trail in Glacier - yowza), and got our own up close and personal view of the Canadian health care system (fortunately, Steve made it through the death panel and after five stitches to a cut finger was good to go).

It's probably easier to let the pictures speak for themselves, so I'll include a few favorites and the link to all of our pictures/trip notes.

Montana and Alberta 2009

The view from Nub Peak in Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park:

117_nub_peak_view-1.jpg

The family on Wiwaxy Gap at Lake O'Hara (Yoho National Park):

113_wiwaxy_family_shot-1.jpg

And because it makes me giggle, Norah's "funyun death stare":

133_siyeh_norah_funyuns-1.jpg

What a wonderful family vacation. Your photos speak of the vast beauty out there. Norah is a lucky little urchin!! Great report. Makes me want to go back to Glacier and Yellowstone.

Great pics from all of the parks!! :D

It brings a huge smile as I've been to all of the above and would have a hard time naming a favorite... what a great opportunity to spend a Month travelling through them!!

I was just hiking Mt Bourgeau a few weeks ago, and a few other peaks in Banff. I backpacked in Glacier and the flowers & wildlife are amazingly beautifull! We also saw Grizz & cub....:eek:
Mt. Assiniboine is on my tick list of climbs........:rolleyes:

Really enjoyed!! Thanks for sharing and you have all these memories with the Little Urchin...LOL :D

I was just hiking Mt Bourgeau a few weeks ago, and a few other peaks in Banff. I backpacked in Glacier and the flowers & wildlife are amazingly beautifull! We also saw Grizz & cub....
Mt. Assiniboine is on my tick list of climbs........
We hiked to Bourgeau Lake, but the got rained/hailed out on the way to Harvey Pass. We met several people who had recently climbed Mt Bourgeau and it sounds like a great hike. Next time. :)

Mt. Assiniboine is supposed to be a great climb. Steve was looking longingly at it. :)

Awesome, hope to see you, steve and norah the explorer at Magic this year!

Maybe you should bring a slide projector! :)

Jay

Nice trip report and pictures!

I had to look it up, but we hiked it on 8/16. Since we had Norah with us, we beat a retreat once it started to rain hard/hail. We were totally peeved that when we got back to the lake the pass was sunny with blue skies. :p

Most of the climbers we saw had flown in on the helicopter. A lot of people fly in their gear and hike in to Lake Magog to pick it up.

ya know what - people toss terms around on this website like:

awe inspiring, amazing, unbelievable, etc... when adults do some cool stuff, and not taking anything away from that, but compared what you guys just did with your duaghter - we'll those words fit here better than anything I have ever seen on this board...

As for someone who has never taken his son more than 3 nights car camping, and 10 miiles over those days - 125 miles hiking, 17 nights camping as family is pretty damn awe inspiring, amazing, unbelievable

you guys rule.

Inspiring photos! I don't have kids but without reservation I second what Giggy said. Way to go and thanks for sharing with us.

Um...I *do* have kids and I can tell ya that giggy's comment is spot on.

I'm not sure I could handle this kinda trip NOW (kids are 12 and 9), let alone when they were toddlers! Good on ya for getting Norah into the backcountry at an early age. And thanks for sharing the TR/pix.

FYI, kids' possessiveness about crispy snack foods only gets worse with age, as the Adam Bomb (the 9-year-old) demonstrated whilst on vacation this summer:

MYchips.jpg

lol @ J. Dub. Cute pic. :)

Thank you everybody for the kind comments. :)

So far Norah loves the outdoors and we hope to keep that love going!