Sedona AZ hiking ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
My husband and I have several days in Sedona at the end of the month. I'm looking for info on the area. We will not be going to the Grand Canyon, as we were at the North Rim last year.

Best day hikes? I have Sedona Hikes by the Mangums, and every hike sounds good! Suggestions for what's best?

We would also like to see some Indian ruins. Is Montezuma's Castle worthwhile?

Thanks in advance!

We immensely enjoyed all the hikes we did in Sedona. About 12 or 14 different hikes in our 3 trips. Cathedral Rock and Devil's Bridge are 2 favorites. Many other choices, and trails range from very easy/short to very difficult/exposed/long.

A half-day in Jerome is always fun too!

We did a day of vortex hikes that was fun, if you're into such things: Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock, Boynton Canyon.

Sedona is a fun town, but traffic can be as challenging as N. Conway, especially on weekends. Popular trailhead parking lots can fill up. Parking permits are required at some locations, but there are vending machines at some lots.

We did a day of vortex hikes that was fun, if you're into such things: Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock, Boynton Canyon.

Sedona is a fun town, but traffic can be as challenging as N. Conway, especially on weekends. Popular trailhead parking lots can fill up. Parking permits are required at some locations, but there are vending machines at some lots.

what he said! I was there 10 yrs ago on my honeymoon don't recall may trail names and stuff - but everything we did (short, easy stuff) was great. Watch out for rattlesnakes. :D

We also took a off road jeep trip - and that was also fun. Its touristy - but good way to get some of the history, etc..

I loved Sedona - and will go back someday. Great food there as well. The approach is really cool (assuming you come from north) - as you drop down via some cool S curves from the arizona highlands up by flagstaff..

you will love it

Sedona was amazing. I did the Airport Loop Hike, Brins Mesa, and Bear Mountain - all great hikes. The locals I talked to said to go up to Oak Creek Canyon, but I never did - they raved about it. Airport Road is a great (and popular) place for the sunset.

The Heartline Cafe was perfect for dinner. There was a cool sandwich place too - I think it was Sedona Memories. Wildflower Bread has good coffee and sandwiches and a sweet view.

There are so many options - have a blast!

Definately don't miss Oak Creek Canyon. Stop for a visit to Slide Rock State Park. Natural water slide. Very fun.
We loved doing the Vortex trails mentioned above. People leave piles of rocks, feathers, crystals, etc. They are all fairly easy hikes, and should be in the book.
Devils bridge is a very fun hike. Beware though, the soil is very fine, red dust, and gets into everything. Wear dark socks or you will have "souvenier Sedona socks".
If you enjoy Mountain Biking, then this is a fabulous place to do it. Some flat trails, some slickrock, some river crossings. You can get rental bikes in town.
The Jeep tour is very touristy, but very fun. Hey, you are a tourist right?
Go up to Airport Mesa (vortex) for sunset. You won't forget it. Cathedral Rock is also beautiful at dusk. Heck, the whole place is beautiful at sunset!!
Uptown Sedona is very touristy, with lots of souvenier shops. Don't forget to check out 'Snoopy Rock'. You can see him from Downtown, across from the Chamber of Commerce.
Have fun and post pictures!!!!
Sandy

Forgot to address the 2nd part of your question. The Castle is very nice, but I actually enjoyed the Well. I think it is about 10 miles away, definately a different exit on the highway. Do them both.

I also encourage you to visit Montezuma's Well National Park and the Monteuma's Castle ruin. We did a short hike in the Sedona area called Sterling Pass which I recommend. Also, check out V Bar V Ranch National Historic Site for petroglyphs and an amazing rock calendar.

I 2nd Montezuma's Castle and add Tuzigoot Ntl Monument - not only is it interesting, it's in a beautiful spot. Looking forward to your report back.

You might be interested in some photos from a trip I took to Arizona/Utah in September of 2008. The Arizona shots are some of the last in the album.