Johns Brook Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip for mid-September to hike most of the Great Range (conducive weather permitting). I plan to park at the Garden, hike up the Brothers to Big Slide then down to JBL. There, I'd set up camp and do two additional day hikes to catch Haystack, Basin and Saddleback one day, returning to camp via Orebed Brook trail. The next day I'd go back up Orebed and hike Gothics, Armstrong, UWJ and LWJ then return to camp. Two questions: 1) does this sound like the a viable plan? 2) is there an area at JBL whereas I can set up the tent and camp?

There is a designated campsite area about 200 yds. past the JBL. Take a bear cannister or leave your food in the lodge. There aren't many good "hanging" trees and the bears there are very good at getting food bags. There is water available at the lodge so you could leave your filter home.

Your hiking itinerary will get you many of the best views the adks. has to offer. You'll have to work for it, as much of the terrain you'll be covering steep and rough. I climbed Gothics August 7 and it was sleeting on the summit. Be prepared.

Al-
This is a classic combination. Both loops are great dayhikes.
There is also a designated camping area to the left (near the DEC outpost) as you reach Johns Brook on the way down from Big Slide. Enjoy!

I did a similar hike in August 2002. Over the brothers to big slide is pretty tiring, but fun. I started around 2pm, and made it to camp before dark. You may be able to throw Yard in the mix if you are fit. I would definately try to keep pack weight down.

The next day I hiked Saddleback->LWJ. A long hike, but can be done before 5pm if you get an early start. You may also consider this loop. The hike out from JBL is a breeze.

You have chosen a very do-able hike. Bear container is a must. Make sure you watch the weather, it was very cold up there when I vacationed last week. Saranac hit a new record low of 36 degrees, so it might be a cold September. Hope you have a great hike.