Grand Canyon - North Rim or South Rim?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerMouth61

Reaction score
In the 'burbs a few miles north of Boston.
Next August (I know, hot!) my family is going to hike the Grand Canyon. We will be at Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP beforehand, so the North Rim is convenient.

How does the North Kaibab Trail compare to the South Kaibab Trail and Bright Angel Trail? I know it's longer, and less crowded (only 10% of the visitors go to the North Rim), but I am more interested in howthe scenic experience compares.

When I was ~13 I hiked down N Kaibab and up Bright Angel, and was totally blown away by the experience. I had never seen anything as awe inspiring or majestic as the Grand Canyon. I still haven't, although the Great Wall of China is pretty cool and the Grand Tetons are nice too.

So I want my kids (high school and college) to have a similar mind-altering experience. I am leaning to hiking from the North Rim, but am concerned that it may not be as spectacular as the South Rim Trails. What do you all think?

Also, is it worth the 4-hour and $80 per person shuttle trip, to hike down one side and up the other? E.g. Hike down North Kaibab, hike up South Kaibab, and take the shuttle back to our car on the North Rim? I suppose just one of us could do the shuttle and save some $$ and travel for the rest.

Have been to both rims a few times, and much prefer the North Rim. I don't think one rim is any more/less beautiful than the other. In addition to the lack of crowds, it's cooler since it's 1K' higher, and ride down from Bryce and Zion is a pretty one as well.

As for getting your family from one side to the other - have you considered renting a second car and doing a car spot? Might not need the second car for the entire trip.

I agree with Kevin. If the tourists on Mt Washington bother you, you would probably enjoy your trip more if you went to the north rim of the Canyon. The south rim in August is going to be hot and very crowded.

Definately the North Rim. As Kevin said, it is cooler. Also, more trees, and WAY less crowded.
August is wicked hot there (as you know) I'd be very careful if you go below the rim for an extended time. The inner canyon is an oven in the summer. We were at the South Rim this past August, and it was warm, but not horrible.
We did not go to the inner canyon.
The scenery is beautiful on both rims.
You will be enthralled no matter where you go.
Sandy

Sure, the North rim is cooler, but if you're hiking down to the river, it's still going to be 100+ degrees in the canyon. One big difference is the N Kaibob has water available along much of it (so I'm told), wheras the S Kaibob has none at all (first-hand knowledge). Also, the rangers do not advise anyone to hike rim-to-rim on the same day, but some people do it, of course. Prepare wisely, and EAT while you hike (see my GC trip report from May). ;)

I've also been on both rims. And have hiked to the river from the S.

I'd say it depends on what you want to do. If you want to hike down to the river and back in one day, do it from the S Rim--too far from the N Rim. Two days, take your choice.

FWIW, I've hiked down to the river in August. (Down S Kaibab Tr, overnight at Phantom Ranch, up S Bright Angel Tr.) It was hot at the bottom--113F at 6pm. This was back when there was still a swimming pool at Phantom Ranch...

Another nice 1 day option is to hike S Kaibab down to the Tonto Tr, follow it to Indian Gardens and up S Bright Angel. Option for Plateau point. If it is too hot, wait at Indian Gardens for things to cool off and/or shade on the trail and head up. (Bring headlamp...) Did this in May--80+F on the Tonto Plateau. Was much nicer after I passed the shade line on the way out...

Corridor trail stats:
* S Kaibab: 6.7 mi, 4810 vert ft, no water
* S Bright Angel: 9.5 mi, 5510 vert ft, water at Indian Gardens and above
* N Bright Angel: 14 mi, 5740 vert ft, water at several spots

IMO, the views are better from the S Rim. You are much closer to the river. More viewpoints. The sun is at your back so the haze isn't as bad.

There are nice shorter dayhikes on both rims.

Whichever rim you choose, you will most likely have a good time.

Good reference: "Hiking the Grand Canyon" by John Annerino. http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Grand-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253308529&sr=8-4 He talks about a wide range of trails etc in GC. (FWIW, I have several of his books on desert travel etc. All worth reading.)

Doug

Last edited: