Who does trail work?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of us do actual trail maintenance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How many people on this site actually volunteer their time to maintain the trails they seem to love so dearly?

I'm not talking about picking up a candy wrapper or two, but spending hours clipping, cutting, chopping, sawing, digging and other sweaty work.

It will probably be 5 days this year (2 days on my adopted section of AT/LT, National Trails Day, Monadnock, and SRKG) but there's noplace to vote for that :)

Oh well, some of them were short days :)

This can vary year to year. some years AMC adopters need to have refresher training which adds another day or two.

My son logged in 15days this year on a spike crew...I could never do that, I work for a living.

Last edited:
simply don't have the time - lucky to get north once a month to hike.

Trail work is noble and all, and I am not proud to say I don't do it - but the reality is - I don't - rather spend the limited time doing stuff.

just being honest - but to I also do the minimal amount of yardwork possible as well.

I do at least 5 work days a year. The rest is administrative stuff, which I fit in here and there. Usually after everyone else is asleep.

But I didn't always do that. When I left my full time job to stay home with the kids, and work from home as well, then I decided that was a good opportunity to give back to the trails that I have enjoyed my whole life. Before that, I didn't feel that I had the time to volunteer.

I enjoy the work a great deal, but I don't know that I will always be in a position to have the time to do it. I just know that I can right now, so I do.

i put in my 3 days a year on my adopted trail. were it a shorter hike to get to it i would do more, but it's a full day to get out there, partrol the whole trail and get a bit of work done while making it out before dark. i admit sometimes it's hard driving up there to do "work" when there are so many other places i'd like to spend the day hiking minus heavy tools, etc. but i feel i need to do my little bit to give back. if so many of the volunteer trail days weren't always on weekends (when i work) i might do a couple of those too.

bryan

A day or two a year is all I have time for around work.

Although we do spend a lot of minutes here and there tossing branches off trails, kicking the leaves out of waterbars to start them draining again, etc.

My share.

I maintain the heritage trail in Sanbornton, The White trail on Belknap coordinate all maint. on the Belknap State Forest and Gunstock with the BRATTS some 23 trails.Also almost all Trailwright outings to go along with some administrative chores. We also get the chance to hike too. WHAT A LIFE ! and so lucky too. My wife and I do well over 30 days but we are both retired,so we have the TIME.

I'm over 5 days this year, so far. I could probably finish most of the basic work in 4-5 days, but like bryan, I have a long hike to get to my section of trail (Garfield Ridge from Lafayette to Garfield Trail). I also tend to take long lunch breaks and just enjoy my surroundings. It's the only place I get any peace and quiet these days :D

(I can't wait to get out again . . . I got a snazzy new hoe to play with!)

(I can't wait to get out again . . . I got a snazzy new hoe to play with!)

Looks good. I might just buy one of these.

5 days. I just started trail work in earnest this year and love it. I adopted 1.6 miles of the Piper Trail on Mt. Chocorua and have done trail work with the AMC and Trailwrights. I'm sure it will be more than 5 days next year.

simply don't have the time - lucky to get north once a month to hike.

Trail work is noble and all, and I am not proud to say I don't do it - but the reality is - I don't - rather spend the limited time doing stuff.

just being honest - but to I also do the minimal amount of yardwork possible as well.

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing giggy - I do pick up trash that I see and remove small brush etc...

I voted "less than 4 hours annually" as I do usually help with some project every other year or so. Certainly nothing regular or extensive.

Kudos to those who do have the time, ability and inclination. Working on even a small project helps you realize the amount of effort that's been put in over the years. Amazing.

I do zero, none, zip. Total free-loader. Just don't have the time. When I am able to squeeze in a hike, it's a 4-hour drive from southern RI, 8 to 10 hours to hike, and then 4-hour drive home. Once in a great while able to do an over-nighter. Thanks to all who volunteer who make it possible for parasites like me to hike on some slick trails.

p.s. I do always use my blinkers, though.

Due to the wording of the of the 2nd sentence of the final choice as well as that of the pollster's opening post I can't help shake the impression that this poll is serving more as a venting and a finger pointing mechanism than a data gathering device.

Last edited:
Subjectively, I noticed that and don't much care.

Objectively, I think the titling of the poll, and the fact that it's not blind, will invite trail maintainers to respond and discourage non-maintainers from even viewing the thread, skewing results. I doubt 70% of members here do more than a days work, which is what is currently indicated. Still don't much care.

Last edited: