Catskills 4K

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packdan

Reaction score
Hi
I'm heading to the Catskill region next weekend to bag Slide and Hunter.

What would be the easiest trails for these.

I'm planning to sleep at Devil's Tomb State Park.

Thanks

Last edited:
Slide:

http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/catskill-peaks/slide-mountain.php

What is usually called Slide mtn road is also names "Oliverea Rd" on google.

it's an easy out and back or can be (better) combines with the Curtis Ormsbee (CO) trail to make it a loop. The Burrough's Range (BR) trail is somewhat rocky so it might be good to go up the BR and down the CO trail and then back to the same spot via the Phoenicia East Branch trail.

http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/catskill-peaks/hunter-mountain.htm

Hunter can be done from Becker Hollow on 214, north of Notch Lake and the DP and north of Devil's Tombstone (still open?) (It's not a state park, BTW, it's a NY State campground which I think is closed now) it's a steep hike there but the shortest way to do Hunter...

Jay

I think Devil's Tombstone now stays open until Columbus Day. I know someone who got a "parking ticket" a Notch Lake last year assuming the campground closed after Labor Day.

I agree that the "easiest" trails aren't the best way to see these two mountains. If you have the time you should explore a bit. Although if you're at Devil's Tombstone the Becker Hollow approach to Hunter makes the most sense in terms of driving. If you don't mind a bit of a road walk you could do a Becker Hollow-Hunter-Devil's Path loop.

Have fun.

Slide from Rt. 47 a.k.a. Slide Mtn. Rd. a.k.a. Oliverea Rd. via the Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide Trail is amongst the easiest hikes I've done. Round trip should be easily under three hours.

Hunter via Becker Hollow Trail is the most direct route to the summit.

With a 7 AM start, you should be able to knock both of these off by early afternoon, mid-afternoon at the very latest.

I agree with all of the above. Did these both a couple weeks back - Hunter via Becker Hollow in 2 1/4 hrs r.t. hiking time and Slide from Oliverea Road in 2 hrs. Hunter is a steady moderate climb, Slide is at a lesser pitch. Better views from Hunter on the fire tower. Slide is really growing in - in a few years, there will be no views other than from the perch below the summit.

Finally ,camped at Devil's tombstone 3 nights.

Did Hunter friday climbing by Devil's Path and returned by Becker Hollow.

Saturday, we climbed Slide from Oliverea road.

Everything went fine.

Thanks everyone for the infos.