exploring around Montalban Ridge area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
This is the time of year when I really like to get back into the forest and down from the open alpine zones. The flowers are all gone and it's getting wintery cold while it's early autumn just below in the forest. From now until late November is my favorite time.

Unfortunately, I forgot my orange gaiters and shirts but I made due with what I had for orange. I stayed on trails for the first mile or so to get beyond where most hunters venture.

Hobblebush now has nice clumps of berries.

042aaa.jpg

caterpillar

087aaa.jpg

I was very happy to find lots of birch glades, which are just beautiful this time of year.

112aaa.jpg

There's lots of interesting moose sign; here's one of two rutting pits I found

137aaa-1.jpg

I found a ledgy outcrop with some nice views...

117aaa-2.jpg

After a nice long nap in the warm sun I continued and slowly made my way through more excellent moose habitat...

14 pointer...

149aaa-1.jpg

had the good fortune of seeing a nice healthy yearling bull in an old clearing down lower...they love pin cherry leaves...

023aaa-1.jpg

just a great sparkling early autumn day in the White Mountains!

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Although short on words, your amazing photos speak volumes, and they tell the entire story of your adventure in great detail.

Thank you for another excellent report!

Enjoyed your report! Like that caterpillar close up! What camera and lens do you use?

Thanks! I use a Canon XSi with a Sigma 17-70mm lens for close-up and scenic, and a Canon XTi with a Canon 75-300mm for wildlife (last shot of this TR).

happy trails :)