LRTC offers patch for hiking in Ossipees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Carole,
looks like I almost qualify, I just need the Brook trail and the Bridle path to get the patch. I'm waiting to do the Brook trail in the spring.

Thanks, carole. It's great to see this positive stuff. Maybe a little skiing action is in order for this winter!

--Mike.

ps: The referenced youtube clip, while effectively entertaining (is that Harvey Korman?), is a pale comparison to the original. "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is a classic! "I don't have to show you any stinking badges!," complete with correct grammar. Do you think the LRCT 'Federales' carry badges? Good stuff.

The PeakMaster & I had long since visited all the peaks but went back Sunday to pick up a couple additional trails, there were lots of hikers out and 2 women on horses.

We had hiked the W part of the Brook Walk before it was restored and overall they've done a great job of building steps and sidehill cutting. At many cascades there is a sign with a photo from the days of B.F.Shaw giving the original name of the falls. However noway should you believe the statement on the sign that this trail is mostly level and smooth - it is actually one of the steeper trails in the preserve and certainly the one most likely to result in injury if you stumble. The E part of the trail does not attempt to follow the original route which was partially obliterated by floods but is just a steep woods walk away from the brook - I would suggest that paying customers starting from Fall of Song might prefer to hike the brook section twice instead of the loop.

The W part of Oak Ridge Trail was muddy and uninspiring, but the E part has a nice viewpoint and an old cellar hole. Most interesting was an old photograph of the farmhouse taken when the area was open field, it shows a boulder that can still be seen next to the trail. (This photo is on the S branch of the Y with the Turtleback Trail.) There is apparently a longer interpretive trail under construction but we didn't visit the gift shop to see if booklets were yet available.

Most interesting was an old photograph of the farmhouse taken when the area was open field, it shows a boulder that can still be seen next to the trail.

I assume the photo is the one printed on page 3 in The Legacy (reprinted from Lucy Larcom’s account that was published in the “New England Magazine” in 1892). I took several photos to try to capture the rock as it sits now (the brighter one in the background).

Last edited: