Shhhhhh... I'm not telling...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure some of you will know where this trail is, but I told a couple of locals that I wouldn't spread word about it so I'm not saying where it is. I will say that it is a awesome location and one of the highlights of the Northeast.

The trail is a loop with half on the coast and half inland, and there are designated camp sites on the coast at the far end of the loop. I had debated on hiking the inland or the coastal section on the first day. When I got to the trailhead however, it was a bluebird day so I decided that I should do the coastal part on the nice day. I figured if I had spent the nice day in the woods and then ended up raining the next day for the coastal hike I would be kicking myself.

Due to my broken leg (x 2), 13 months of not being able to walk, and constant rehab, I have been limited to day hikes for quite a while. This was my first backpack in way too long. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about how it would go. I loaded my pack and set off.

The trail to the coast was nice from the start. One thing that I noticed pretty quickly is that this trail has more bog bridges than any other trail I have been on.

2710-bogbridges.jpg

After about 1.5 miles of rolling hills in nice woods, I emerged at the coast. The excitement builds as you can hear the waves from a distance and then suddenly you pop out on top of a cliff over the ocean. The view was very dramatic.

2549-crack.jpg

I could see seals in the water below me and I looked down the coast to see what terrain was in store for me.

2552-coast.jpg

2555-coast2.jpg

I knew from here that this was going to be one dramatic trail. I was already a little tired from carrying my solo overnight pack and camera gear. Plus reports said there was no fresh water on the coastal trail so I was hauling 2 days worth of water. I hadn't hauled a pack that heavy in a while. The sight of the ocean and cliffs gave me energy to move on though.

The trail wound along cliff tops and weaved back and forth into the woods. The views were constant and dramatic.

2561-cliff-beach.jpg

2562-cave.jpg

There were a ton of inlets and rocky beaches to explore.

2569-rock-beach.jpg

2571-rock-beach2.jpg

During my drive to the trailhead, I heard some stats about cancer rates. Those stats kept popping into my head everytime I saw trees like this one (and I saw a lot of them).

2575-tree.jpg

I kept moving down the coast and came up to a large stone beach. I was nice to see the ladder at the far end of the beach because that meant the trail would go right down to and across the beach.

2583-rock-beach3.jpg

The ladder however proved to be a little suspect. Well, a lot suspect. There was a small sign on it saying to be careful because it is due to be replaced. It's things like this that can add a little excitement to a solo backpack.

2591-ladder.jpg

I managed to crawl up the side of the ladder and returned to the woods for a really cool section that for some reason had a very old feel to it for me.

2602-path.jpg

continued...

It was then on to the stairway to heaven that would lead to my campsite for the night.

2703-stairs.jpg

I dropped my pack, set up my tent, and scouted around a bit. It was a great site, perched just above rocky cliffs over the ocean.

2624-camp.jpg

Right away, one of the coolest parts of the trip happened. I saw a whale right in front of my campsite.

2603-whale.jpg

For scale, that is probably a 40' sailboat in the background. This was the second time I have seen a whale from a trail. The first time was in Hawaii. Like the first time, I was kicking myself for not having my biggest lens with me. Later, during dinner, the whale returned again. Well maybe it was different whale, but I like to think that it was the same whale checking up on me. I was alerted by the sound of his blowhole. I ran down to the cliff again and there it was. Very cool.

As the sun sank low in the sky, the views got better and better.

2628-goldenrod.jpg

2629-rocks.jpg

I had been lucky to have such a nice day and the end was just over the top.

2633-sunset-east.jpg

2646-trees-cliff.jpg

Clear skies don't produce the best sunsets, but this one was still great.

2660-tree-sil.jpg

The next day dawned clear and bright. I ate breaky, had a nice cup of tea to get me going, packed up, and headed out on the inland trail to return to my truck. The inland trail had some nice sections of woods and nice views of a beaver pond.

2714-pond.jpg

It was nice, but I have to be honest and say it was a bit of a let down after the dramatic coastal trail the day before. In the future I would probably either do an out and back on the coastal trail or do the inland trail the first day and save the best for last. At any rate, it was still a nice trail. A couple hundred more bog bridges and I was back at the trailhead.

2718-bogbridges2.jpg

It was an awesome experience and it felt great to be backpacking again. I have been to a lot of places, but the Northeast just keeps serving up new and great stuff for me.

Aloha

- darren

ps: if you know where this place is, please don't post it here....I don't want the locals mad at me. ;)

Wow...it all looks so familiar somehow. :)

I had a visit from 3 dolphins (I think that's what they were) for my dinner time. They swam by to the left and then about an hour later they swam by to the right.

Great time of year to be there. Can't wait to go back someday. It is a great place for a solo trek.

D--thanks--great pics

perhaps the best? hike of it's type in our area-- the inland "return" is a bit of a letdown after the coastal hike, but man...and those camp sites.......i think it's a long enough drive for most people that we don't need to fear it being overrun

jim

I really tried to pick a favorite picture, but I couldn't -- they are all amazing!

I wish I knew where this place was ! It sort of reminds me of the Cape Chignecto Coastal Trail in NS, but its not...is it?!

I really tried to pick a favorite picture, but I couldn't -- they are all amazing!
Yes, they are all amazing, but for me there is one easy pick for a favorite. I believe the following image is stunning. It could be a Winslow Homer seascape, one of his more rare calm scenes. I could easily imagine it hanging on a museum wall. Excellent work.

I had been lucky to have such a nice day and the end was just over the top.

2633-sunset-east.jpg

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Everyone is really surprised to find out that this is on Cape Cod.... ;)

(I have to admit i just laughed at the idea of someone driving over the Bourne bridge in search of this rocky coastline...)

Actually Tut's comment that I got a picture of Champy was pretty funny. Nice one.

Mark - you picked the same favorite as me. I think that shot will look really nice as a print on canvas. I'll let you know how it comes out. Should be nice framed with a driftwood looking frame.

Aloha

- darren