New Field Guide for Trees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
A new filed guide for trees by David Allen Sibley is out. Like his bird guides his atrwork is wonderfull. The scope covers all natural and introduced trees in the lower 48 states. Rumor had it that this book would be a great resource for birders as many birds are found in trees. However, there is no discussion of birds. And Like most field guides no discussion of trees in thier habitats ie Black Spruce is found either in bogs or high altitudes because it does well in low nitrogen soils.

Illustration could include tree shape, leafs and bark. Sometimes the bark illustration are for the genus. there are a few twig illustrations but not alot of info for winter tree identification. It is a large book, not something one would lug around.

For our northeast areas I still like John Laird Farrar's book on Trees in Canada and Northern United States. (another stay at home book) One book doesn't cover everything, and Sibley is a good addition to a library. Our Christmas list time is fast approaching.

The state of maine just issued a 100 anniversary revised edition of the Forest Trees of Maine book. It is available from the state or can be downloaded from the state website. Its non extensive in nature but I have always liked it. A hard copy is $7 and is a great entry level book.

I think this is a link to the website

http://www.state.me.us/doc/mfs/pubs/ftm/ftm_centennial.html.

I have a copy of the Maine guide to trees and I highly recommend it.
Well worth the $7.

Puck have you read "Reading the Forested Landscape", A Natural History of New England by Tom Wessels?

It's a great book, it a guide for read what it going on in the forest.

Puck have you read "Reading the Forested Landscape", A Natural History of New England by Tom Wessels?

It's a great book, it a guide for read what it going on in the forest.

I agree. My wife saw me reading and commented on how beautifull it was...lay out, graphics, etc. The content is amazing, too. I also like North Woods: An Inside Look at the Nature of Forests in the Northeast by Peter Marchand, which covers the boreal/alpine areas where I do most of my hiking. Another good one in Bernt Heinrich's The Trees in My Forest. I find if I understand the habitat and the ecology I have a frame work to learn and memorize the plants and fauna.

Reading the Forested Landscape, and North Woods are both excellent books!

I'm looking forward to picking up the Sibley book. It'll be on the wish list for the holidays.;)

Another good book on trees in New England is called Trees of New England; a natural history by Charles Fergus.
http://books.google.com/books?id=tJfhE3IothQC&dq=Trees+of+New+england&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=yPgTRuY53H&sig=EmjfA1MWfqLEM9Jv-OiaD85QU00&hl=en&ei=a8u8Sr7MNNKMtge4_qiLAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Each tree has its own essay. Its almost more of an ode to each tree.
You can preview some of the essays in the link above. I found the entry on Yellow Birch especially interesting to read.

The state of maine just issued a 100 anniversary revised edition of the Forest Trees of Maine book. It is available from the state or can be downloaded from the state website. Its non extensive in nature but I have always liked it. A hard copy is $7 and is a great entry level book.

I think this is a link to the website

http://www.state.me.us/doc/mfs/pubs/ftm/ftm_centennial.html.

I'll second that. I have been quite happy with this publication. Check out the .pdf version on the state's website (link above).