moderate hikes in white mountains?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Looking for some advise on a moderate hike, possibly a one night backpack....
Here's my ability level.....I'm an average speed hiker that likes to take pictures, I hiked Mt. Abraham this summer in Vermont pretty comfortably, but my knees are a problem on the descent.....Of course everyone talks about Mt Washington but i'd rather not try that as of now and try something else.....I would love the hike to be above treeline as much as possible....I think I can handle about 3000 vertical feet with a distance between 6 - 8 miles.....if it is a backpack then possibly a little more with rest....i'm not rushing because it's a 400 mile trip from long island NY and i want to enjoy the whites and go back again...I am exercising as much as possible and hope to go out there columbus weekend.....ok, hope i got all info out there...thx

or, maybe 2 consecutive day trips with lighter gear....the 2nd day does not have to be a 4k, just views, maybe a fire tower in the area, but I'd like the opportunity to feel the "gentle" breeze and not get air lifted back to long Island...thx

I'm going to suggest Pierce. a) it's a classic and easy hike to just above treeline with great views north, b) AMC Highland Center to start and end maybe, c) Mizpah Hut up there if you want, d) if you're feeling good go tag Eisenhower or Jackson. Lots of options up that way to extend the hike, make a loop or bail.

Was just typing the same thing and saw Chip's response in another window.

Can get some nice views from Pierce .... Excellent idea.

Short hike

You could try the northern Presis, stay over night at Gray Knob cabin (Randolphmountainclub.org), & get above treeline on whichever day is better, weathterwise. The climb to Gray Knob is fairly close to 3K vertical, but you'd have a good night's sleep for $12, and they have mattress pads.:)

I'd say those or Mt. Osceola from Tripoli Road, Waterville Valley. 3+ miles one way and it never gets steep.

Mt. Moosilauke might be a good bet. Either the Benton Trail or Gorge Brook approach may meet your requirements. I tend to prefer the Benton side as it's a less traveled path and I love the longer summit approach above treeline from that side of the mountain.

Gorge Brook is 7.4 miles with 2450 ft. of gain
Benton is 7.2 miles with 3100 ft. of gain

For dayhikes, I think you might find the NH 52 With-A-View list interesting. Kearsarge North will give you the tower you're looking for.

A lot of good suggestions, 52 with a view is a good list to look at

Southern Presidentials tend to be a little easier, IMO than the Northern ones. Ike & Pierce is a good walk with a decent amount of time above treeline or in the scrub. Doing a loop on Moosilauke is a good walk above treeline also.

If i was looking for an above two days with an overnight somewhere, I'd consider Ike & Pierce & stay at the AMC Shapleigh bunkhouse & then on day two depending on how I felt, (& assuming easier so you are fresh for the ride home) I'd look at one of these in the C-Notch area, Willard, Middle Sugarloaf, Jackson, Mt. Crawford.

If heading home by Franconia Notch, Indian Head, Artist Bluff (if real sore) or I'd consider taking the Tram up Cannon & then wandering around up there, possibly going to the view from the top of the cliff.

Carrigan via Signal Ridge with an overnight down by where Signal Ridge and Carrigan Notch Trail merge?

Yhx everyone, I knew there would be a great variety of responses.....I do have the amc white mountain book and will start checking out all of those ideas.....I'm going with my nephew (26) and he can't wait to do a backpack and try out his new gear so I'm going to have to pass on those comfy bunkhouses for now :( but I'm sure I'll be able to use those places in the future....I'm sure everyone of those ideas are perfect and I really appreciate the help....I'm looking foward to going back to NH, first and only time was Sherpa's winter gathering maybe 4-5 years ago at Barnes field.....I fell in love with the great outdoors then...to bad I'm beating up my knees exercising to get into hiking shape....thx CF

I'd say those or Mt. Osceola from Tripoli Road, Waterville Valley. 3+ miles one way and it never gets steep.

It is, however, quite rocky, and of the ankle-turning variety, for a solid mile on the lower/middle of the trail. There are also a few sections of slide-slabbing. Speaking as someone who had knee troubles, I'm not sure I'd suggest this trail.

I would second both Pierce and Moosilauke.

Tim

I cannot add much to this - Pierce is a great choice - done it many times - my six year old loved it too. It is never steep. Osceola is an OK choice - but it is all rocks which makes for slow going on the way down which may not be great for you knee. The Moose is great - perhaps a bit longer but gradual and a lot above tree line...

.....I'm going with my nephew (26) and he can't wait to do a backpack and try out his new gear so I'm going to have to pass on those comfy bunkhouses for now :( ...thx CF

Okay, if you INSIST: How about the short hike up Liberty, grab a platform at Liberty Springs, drop the tent, pads and bags, pray for clear weather, tag Liberty and maybe Flume, wonder why you live so far from this awesome area, head back to Liberty Springs, eat, sleep, wakey wakey, eat, decide if you're up for the hike north on the Ridge, do or do not, pack up and head down. :)

All of the above are great.... but I like Chip's recent suggestion with a twist. My first WM backpack, like 25+ years ago(!), was from Lincoln Woods, up Osseo - beautiful and NOT hard on the knees - tag Flume and Liberty, down to Liberty Springs campsite for the night. Second day like Chip says. We bailed the next morning due to torrential rains. I can guarantee this will NOT happen to you. :)

Only major thing is you'd need a car spot or some sort of shuttle for this. We hitchhiked back, unsuccessfully. :(

Weatherman

Chip's idea is a good one , but Weatherman makes it better by using the Osseo Trail rather than the boring Liberty Springs Tr. You could still drop down to the tentsite for an overnight , it's not far .
Or...you could hike in on the Wilderness Tr. and camp off the Bondcliff Tr. . Then head up to Bondcliff with a light pack and take in some of the best views anywhere . If time or ambition allows keep going up to Bond and/or West Bond .

Dave

Yhx everyone, I knew there would be a great variety of responses.....I do have the amc white mountain book and will start checking out all of those ideas.....I'm going with my nephew (26) and he can't wait to do a backpack and try out his new gear so I'm going to have to pass on those comfy bunkhouses for now :( but I'm sure I'll be able to use those places in the future....I'm sure everyone of those ideas are perfect and I really appreciate the help....I'm looking foward to going back to NH, first and only time was Sherpa's winter gathering maybe 4-5 years ago at Barnes field.....I fell in love with the great outdoors then...to bad I'm beating up my knees exercising to get into hiking shape....thx CF

I have a slightly older version of the WMG, but assuming this aspect hasn't changed - check out Appendix C: Short to Moderate Hikes. Described by region, there's an excellent discussion of these hikes. You can get more detailed info for specific hikes by then reading the more indepth trail descriptions elsewhere in the WMG.

I'd second Giggy's suggestion with the Perch.

A more committing alternative would be:

Crawford Path>Mitzpah Cutoff>Dry River Cuttoff>Dry River Trail. Camp where you feel comfortable. Then next day either ascend Dry River Trail up through Oakes Gulf to Lake of the Clouds and descend Crawford Path back to car; or ascend Mt. Eisenhower Trail and descend via Crawford Path. If you choose the former, I'd suggest trying to get up near the Dry River Shelter #3 (does it still exist?) on the first day.

Thank you everyone for the advise, not being rude but I think I have my work cut out for me by checking up on all of those suggestions so please no more becuase I'll just confuse myself even more.....I do like the idea of dropping off the gear and hiking, maybe even using one of those comfy bunkhouses.....

Funny thing about the knee issue, it hurts me more after the same continious step going downhill after 1 mile....seems like when I take different steps and angles going down that the knee bones doesn't rub in the same spot I guess.....hard to explain...

After visiting Vermont 4 times this summer I really do think that when I retire in (14 years) I'd like to relocate out North...

Have a great weekend, looks nice for tomorrow....