Fastest way to Manchester VT from NYC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
We are getting a late start after work, so traffic in NYC will be horrible. My choices: Taconic Parkway to 90, then either 22 or 7 north. Or Thruway 87 north to I guess Troy, and then work my way east.

Any other suggestions?

I did this a long time ago, I believe we took I-787 from I-87 north to rt 7. Rt 7 goes through some towns with red lights and stuff and took 7 all the way to Bennington and took I think rt 7 north to Manchester (to hike Equinox). We did it in winter so traffic wasn't bad, other than the red lights on Rt 7 north of Albany...

Alternative might be to take I-90 East (the Beeway) to some place where you can cut north to VT through MA more a bit, but I'm not sure of the details.

Jay

By means of Tesseract, a fifth-dimensional phenomenon, similar to folding the fabric of space and time.

Other than that, Jay H iz korrect;

I did this a long time ago, I believe we took I-787 from I-87 north to rt 7. Rt 7 goes through some towns with red lights and stuff and took 7 all the way to Bennington and took I think rt 7 north to Manchester (to hike Equinox). We did it in winter so traffic wasn't bad, other than the red lights on Rt 7 north of Albany...

Jay

Daniel Eagan said:
My choices: Taconic Parkway to 90, then either 22 or 7 north.

Those will (in high probabilty) be worse.

Last edited:
My choices: Taconic Parkway to 90, then either 22 or 7 north.
I'd stay on I-87. US 7 can be a little slow in places, especially through Pittsfield itself. There's nothing further east that is worth the trouble until you get to I-91, but by then you've tracked so far east you'd be better served to change your destination to Manchester, NH.

I'd go Taconic to NY-295 to NY-22 to NY-7 to 279 (the Bennington bypass) to US-7 to Manchester.

Last edited:
NY Thruway to Troy and over. After Newburg, the crowd thins.

Tried to go cross county, ie Manchester from direct west, once but it wasn't any faster.

Watch out for Bigfoot on US7 in VT. Many sightings.

I do the reverse of this often. 87 through Albany is probably the fastest but it took me years to accept this. 22 Taconic can be fast if you haulass, no speeding tickets and no slow folks in front of you. I have made very fast times and very slow. I've tried various other routes but none compare.

Hope you enjoyed this perfect Saturday weather.