The arrival of hunting season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Time to break out the orange hat or vest and be very careful when you bushwhack. Here's a brief summary of the seasons, to know who else might be out there in the woods with you and who should know that you're a hiker, not a target.

WHITE-TAILED DEER
Archery: Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 (closes Dec. 8 in WMU A*)
Youth Deer Weekend: Oct. 24-25
Firearms: Nov. 11 - Dec. 6 (closes Nov. 29 in WMU A*)
Muzzleloader: Oct. 31 - Nov. 10 (opens Nov. 2 in WMU A*)
BLACK BEAR: Starts Sept. 1 (end varies by WMU)
GRAY SQUIRREL: Sept. 1 - Dec. 31
SNOWSHOE HARE: Oct. 1 - March 31
RUFFED GROUSE: Oct. 1 - Dec. 31
WOODCOCK: Oct. 6 - Nov. 4
PHEASANT: Oct. 1 - Dec. 31
MOOSE: Oct. 17 - 25
FALL TURKEY
Shotgun: Oct. 12 - 16 (certain WMUs only)
Archery: Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 (Closed in WMU A)
WATERFOWL: see Fish & Game

For more New Hampshire hunting information, visit http://www.huntNH.com

I had to look it up, so if you don't know who's on first, what's on second, or which "WMU" is where, here is a link to the WMU map (PDF).

Up until last November, this was all rather hypothetical for me. And then we hiked up past John's Brook Lodge, and heard the shots VERY CLOSE BY.

Be careful out there!

--Mike.

Up until last November, this was all rather hypothetical for me. And then we hiked up past John's Brook Lodge, and heard the shots VERY CLOSE BY.

Be careful out there!

--Mike.
We heard a very loud blast while doing a fire tower in the ADKs, just about made us take cover! Later we saw the drag marks...

For better or worse, the Catskill 3500 Club does not lead hikes during hunting season.

I wasn't too happy to see a Northern NH Guides truck with a payload of apples in the back pull off near a favorite forest road trail of mine in the Franconia area this morning. Several guys in camo jumped out of the cab. Yes, bear baiting season is on. Of the 27 states that allow bear hunting, only 9 allow baiting, two in New England: Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

NH bear baiters have to file a topo of their bait site with NH F&G--and post a 3" x 6" sign (!). If you're out there 'whacking and come across a bunch of apples in a bait station (barrel), or scattered on the ground and you don't see any apple trees around, make loud human-sounding noises, as in "don't shoot!"

http://www.northernnhguides.com/

Here are bear bait signage rules in NH:

To bait bear, a permit (Fish and Game form 180) and map of the bait site must be filed with the local conservation officer before placing the bait. One bait site is allowed in WMUs A, B, D1, H1, H2, I2, K, L and M; two baits are allowed in the remainder of the state. Only the person listed on the permit may bait or add any bait. The bait site must have a legible sign, at least 3 inches by 6 inches, with baiter's name and address and may have names of 2 other persons listed who could then take bear over the bait. Baiting permits are available at regional offices (click here for more information on obtaining bear baiting permits).