09/26/2009: Saddleback and The Horn via Saddleback Ski Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Date of Hike: 09/26/2009

Note:
Google Maps tried to take me to the Saddleback Ski Area via the City Pond Road. I was driving in from the South. This road is marked as private and gated on the Saddleback side. Fortunately, I had continued on 4 to the Dallas Hill Road and ultimately the Saddleback Ski Area Road, because the road into City Pond Road (Beech Hill Road) looked like a Corolla eater similar to the Rapid Stream Road to Abraham. Thanks to Peakbagger for pointing that out, because I forgot to last week.

Trails:
Lodge to Little Inky to Green Hornet (I got lost) to Tight Line to Dazzler to the top of Kennebago Quad to Saddleback Spur, AT to the Horn and back via AT to Spur to Tri-Color to Jitterbug to Sneaky Pete (I got lost) to Gray Ghost to Wheeler to Lodge

Trail Conditions: Overgrown, Frosty, Icy, & Steep on Tight Line

Special Equipment Required: Winter Jacket, Face Mask, Hat, Gloves, and Blaze Orange on the way. Delayered on the way back. Forgot to put on sunscreen. I should have, especially on my face.

Comments:

Saddleback is the most hiker-friendly ski area I have experienced. Like Sugarloaf they don't mind hikers parking there and walking up the trails, but they give out a ski area map with three routes around the mountain. Plus they'll leave it out in the after-hours condo check-in if you get there before 8A. I called the day before. Previous VFTT trip reports (Jazzbo in particular) and an earlybird hiker had suggested the Tight Line. Wheeler, Gray Ghost, Tri-Color route provides a gradual alternative. Be sure to park just before the lodge in the diagonal slots along the road and not in the base lodge parking area.

Fantastic views on Saddleback. The Horn has very similar views, but less people. Some claimed to see Katahdin and Washington yesterday. I can't vouch for that, but it was very clear compared to my previous trips to the area. All I knew was what's on the Maine AMC Guide Map and Kibby Mountain, because the wind turbines give it away. It's possible to create maps similar to the ones in the Maine AMC guide, because with the exception of trail data they use free data from Maine GIS.

Oh, the blaze orange is probably overkill, but the hunting seasons starts up around August 30th here (bear baiting) and I'm cautious. I've seen indications in the last few weeks of it ramping up. "Welcome Hunter" signs in New Vineyard and Highland Plantation two weeks ago. Talk of deer being tagged in expanded archery season up in Highland Plantation two weeks ago. Archers in Augusta yesterday. The forest becomes the dominion of hunters too this time of year and to me it's best not to be shot.

Name:Chance Yohman

E-mail address: [email protected]

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/chance.yohman

Older (a year ago), Crass Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/chanceyohman