Redfield; Avalanche pass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
TR written by my wife, Fran, who doesn't post to this board.

Steve and I had been contemplating Redfield and Cliff for a while now...contemplating being the key word! We were looking forward to getting back into the interior of the high peaks, but wondered if our goal of doing these two as a single day hike was realistic. In the end, we decided to save Cliff for another day, and set off on what proved to be an epic hike, nevertheless...at least in our minds. :rolleyes:

We left the Loj at 7:00 AM and enjoyed a clear, cool start that was to become a perfect 75-degree, sunny day. Passing through Marcy Dam and Avalanche Camps, we arrived at Lake Arnold at 9:30 and then the lovely Uphill Leanto at 11:00. (Descending from Lake Arnold, we were pleasantly surprised by the ease with which we were able to navigate the "wet section.") After a brief break at the Leanto, we returned to the cairn marking the herd path to Redfield and Cliff, and began the lovely climb to Uphill Brook.

Not long after passing the turnoff for Cliff, we reached Uphill Brook, which was to serve, for the most part, as the herd path. Because the water levels were relatively low, we enjoyed rock hopping and stunning views of the Macs for much of the ascent. After leaving the brook at the tributary, we quickly began to climb steadily and, as usual, underestimated just how close we were to the summit. When we finally arrived, however, we were treated to a fantastic view of Allen, as well as some great views of Nippletop, the Dixes, and the Colvin Range. After obligatory summit photos (#35 for us), a rest, and some lunch, we headed back down the path, enjoying spectacular closeups of Marcy, Gray, and Skylight. A bit further, and Colden also made an appearance. (Adam, Nicole, Jim and Kit...cannot believe you guys did those slides...WOWSA! )

With Cliff no longer in the picture for today, and not relishing the idea of climbing back up to Lake Arnold, we made the decision to hike out via Lake Colden and Avalanche Lake/Pass. Although the trail between the leanto and Lake Colden was a bit of a muddy mess, we enjoyed the stunning views of the Opalescent gorge and peaceful Lake Colden. Despite a bonehead move on my part where I rolled my right ankle at Lake Colden, we enjoyed the game of "chutes and ladders" on Avalanche Lake and the spectacular views of Colden and the Trap Dike. One last glance up the lake yielded a wonderful view of Calamity Mountain set between the cliffs.

The hike through Avalanche Pass was relatively easy, thanks to the work of those who cleared the trail following the last slide. It was interesting to see the "tinder pile", as well as where it came from! :eek:

The rest of the hike out was uneventful, except we should point out that much needed work on a bridge between Marcy Dam and the Algonquin Trail had commenced that day...might be done by now! We had to go a whole 50 feet out of our way to get around it. After 17.4 miles, this was not trivial! :p

Back at the Loj at 6:45...Another great day in the mountains with my sweetie.

Pictures: http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnails...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Last edited: