Saddleback via Orebed Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
After 33 high peaks hiked with just the two of us, Fran and I were excited to be accompanied by our good friends Diane and Keith on this ascent of Saddleback. We left Lake Placid around 6:30, hoping to be on the trail around 7 or so, but the Garden was full, so we backtracked to Marcy Field to catch the shuttle -- which arrived while yours truly was otherwise engaged in the priv. What, me hurry? Enjoyed a quick ride to the Garden, entertained by a driver with a Brooklyn accent. Fran was relieved to know that the last bus was not until 7 pm, so she would likely not have to jog back to get the car and pick us all up at the Ausable Inn. :)

The forecast was sunny with highs in the upper 50's, so when we hit the trail it was barely 30. However it wasn't long before I was getting warm and needed to remove my lower pant legs...which prompted some cat calls and a spontaneous striptease. (Sorry Kitty, you now have competition!) :p

The trail to the ranger's cabin seemed to fly by...lots of laughter and good-natured ribbing (something about hiking it with friends next time).
The new bridge over Johns Brook is beautiful, as are the views from it.

Continued to enjoy this very pleasant trail. Caught our first view of the frosted summit of Saddleback from the slide which comes down from the left.
The little brook on the right (Orebed?) was lovely with green mosses and little cascades. Soon we arrived at the steep section with the sometimes helpful, usually not helpful, ladders. Made it through without injury or embarrassment, enjoying some of the open slabs, especially the dry ones. :eek:

We finally arrived at the col and were eagerly anticipating the final push to the summit. Enjoyed the climb...met a few people along the way who confirmed that it was "colder than hell up there." There were a few challenging little scrambles and ledges along the way, but before we knew it we had arrived at the summit.

It was indeed cold (still some ice on the trees at noon), but there was little or no wind and it was perfectly clear and sunny. Enjoyed the views, took some photos, and savored our sandwiches (and Easy Cheese on pepperoni).
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/...otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
Adam, you are an inspiration!

This was number 34 for Fran and me, number 12 for Keith and Diane, if you don't count Lower Wolfjaw (inside joke).

After about 45 minutes we reluctantly headed down the trail. Mostly uneventful, except for one spot where I nearly got my leg stuck between two rocks. I said something about my bulging calf muscle, to which Diane replied, "Don't you mean rippling?"

I replied, "yes, that's often said about me, about as often as 'fleet of foot'!"

A wonderful day in the mountains with great friends! On to the pub! :D

Pictures: http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnails...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/