Transportation for Carters-Wildcat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsofmotion

Reaction score
Hello

I'm planning a hike of the Carters and Wildcat range after October 14 when the AMC shuttle stops service for the season. Any good recommendations for transportation to the Imp Trail early on a Saturday morning if I leave my car at Pinkham notch?

There is a taxi service in Gorham 752-8294. I havent used this company but typically the local services are one or two man operations so you should make arrangements in advance.

If there is any place to hitch-hike, it's that stretch of road. Especially leaving from the Pinkham Notch parking lot, you should have no trouble getting a ride quickly.

My wife and I did it in reverse. I left her at Pinkham Notch, drove down to the 19 Mile Brook parking lot, then hitched back. Took about a half-hour or so.

...and you don't even need to stick your thumb out. Just walk with a pack and people stop. :)

Hitchhike: on that particular stretch of road, anyone with a backpack and a thumb out is usually picked up pretty quickly.

Not too good at 11:30 at night unless you like riding with a couple of drunk teenagers. :eek:

We are looking to do Carters and Wildcat A...(19 mile brook to Carter trail to Zeta pass...across to include Mt. Hight...down to Carter notch and UP Wildcat A)...

We want to return via 19 mile brook...just wondering...is the trail from Carter Notch Hut to Wildcat A one of these trails that is "NOT recommended for descent"? After that 10ish mile hike to get to Wildcat A...we don't want to kill our ancient knees coming back down from Wildcat A...back to the car.

is the trail from Carter Notch Hut to Wildcat A one of these trails that is "NOT recommended for descent"?
It's part of the northbound AT; people descend it all the time. It's steep and hard on the legs, but it's pretty much just a walk in the woods.

It's part of the northbound AT; people descend it all the time. It's steep and hard on the legs, but it's pretty much just a walk in the woods.

Agreed.

(FWIW, I find the descent from Wildcat A to the notch easier than going down from Carter Dome to the notch.)

Not too good at 11:30 at night unless you like riding with a couple of drunk teenagers. :eek:

Mmm, fair enough. Since I threw it out, I should clarify: hitchhiking, even with a backpack in the immediate vicinity of the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center, is not without risk. Keep your head up!

--M.

Mmm, fair enough...

--M.

Not bust’n your chops, just speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

Did I tell you about the time 2 guys in a big moving truck picked me up on Rt 302, put me in the back and closed the door on me? :eek:

Good example. I got a ride from 19MB back to PNVC in a brandy-new Lexus with a family of five (including little kids). I was very grimy and they hesitated not one bit. I was almost as surprised as the time I got chewed out in Seattle for giving up on a Mercedes: how dare I assume she wouldn't give me a ride (elitist east-coasters)!

But if it were after dark, I'd be extra careful.

After all this, I wonder if the OP will just hop the shuttle's last ride of the season.

Another vote for a bike spot. You aren't dependent on anyone else's timing that way. Biking at the beginning rather than the end highly recommended.

Weatherman

I'll not spot any of my bikes in the woods. Even the winter bike. Now a skateboard or Razer... :rolleyes:

Hitchhike: on that particular stretch of road, anyone with a backpack and a thumb out is usually picked up pretty quickly.

I have about a 50% record on that road, of course the more handsome may do better :)

I've done the bike spot many times. I have, so far, always begun the ride with the bike, that way I'm not stuck if something happens. So far, I'm 4/4 on bike spots w/o troubles. I've done:

Osceolas as a loop, riding from Thornton Gap to Livermore
Carters-Moriah, riding from Stony Brook to 19MBT
Wildcats, riding from PNVC to 19MBT
Isolation via Glenn Boulder and Rocky Branch

There are many others which readily lend themselves to this. Some are walkable of course.

Ike + Pierce
Willey + Tom + Field
Anything along Franconia Ridge
Cannon + Kinsmans
Galehead and Garfield loop
Tecumseh as a traverse

Tim

Thank you for the great info

Thank you, everyone! Very helpful. I know about the hitchhiking in that area but as a single, female hiker I don't feel comfortable with that option unless, of course, bikehikeskifish goes by and gives me a lift on his bike!

-Mary