Zealand - Bonds Snow on Halloween

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weather on Halloween???

• Cold but clear. Warm bag. No Traction Required.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snow shoes and a shovel.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stash

Reaction score
Another try at a poll. Will I be toasted yet again for missing the favored choice???

A few friends and I are looking at a (slightly modified) trip on Halloween weekend. Ethan Pond to Zeacliff/Twinway to Bonds south. Attendance will be determined by the presence of ice/snow. What are the chances of "No Traction Required"?

Last edited:
I doubt you'd need anything, and if you do it would be in stretches. I've had Halloween trips where we went in on a Friday in rain, got 6" of wet snow on Saturday, and hiked out to sunny and 70's on Sunday...

Of course, I don't usually take too much in terms of traction no matter the season so I'm not your best read here...

I recall rarely ever needing traction as early as Halloween. Even less chance of ice/snow in recent years. Must have something to do with global warming:confused:

Some Octobers can be quite icy and snowy. I would bring at least crampons.

I'd skip the stabilicers - too heavy. Yaktrax or microspikes might be worth bringing since they're lighter, but I wouldn't expect to need them, unless you get freezing rain and decide to go up Zeacliff trail.

Twinway (up on the ridge), Mid-November 2006:

Here we go again!

Yak Trax are useless, compared to Microspikes. Just MHO.

:eek:I knew it!! Should have used "light traction device" instead of the word "Stabilicers". We really need to be able to change these things after the fact!!! Of course that could make for some rather slanted polls, huh???:eek:

I've been on the Twins on 10/30 on two different years, one was nice weather (no not sandals nice) fleece shirt long hiking pants, say 30ish with 4-6 inches of snow between South & North Twin. Other year was 50 ft. visibility 50+ MPH winds, same amount of snow except for drifts & temps in the 20-30 area.

On both cases I did not use traction, just care.

Other years & destinations about that time (I do tend to be out either in late Oct or early Nov.) temps can be in the 40's & while snow above 3500 is not a guarantee, most years, you wil find some. (going back to the mid-90's - Some years there has been a November thaw or rain & 01/01/2000 had almost no snow on below 3500)

I'm guessing 65% chance of no problem/no traction required, but I wouldn't want to turn around just because I left my Microspikes in the car!!! Only thing that would stink would be high winds and verglas on the rocks between Guyot and the Bonds.

To show an example of the difficulty of answering this so far in advance and the variable weather mentioned above, a video from a 10/29 hike and 11/13 of Osceola

October 29, 2006 Video On Osceloa Summit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YxrQQ69Iq8

Two weeks later, picture of same spot- looking from the other direction- http://tuco.smugmug.com/General-Hiking/East-Osceola-and-Osceola/2122466_nWSNV#109782400_DQCJY-A-LB

We used Stabilicers on the snowy trip. Needing and having imo are two different things. You can make it at times without traction, but life can be made easier with it so.... But, to directly answer your question the chances you won't require traction are pretty good. I carry some type of traction anyhow, microspikes likely.

Have fun....

Last edited:
:eek:I knew it!! Should have used "light traction device" instead of the word "Stabilicers". We really need to be able to change these things after the fact!!! Of course that could make for some rather slanted polls, huh???:eek:

I actually carry Microspikes with me more often now during the shoulder seasons, given how much lighter they are than Stabilicers. Yaktrax are next to worthless, in my opinion; I have found a few mis-matched Yaktrax the past few years, presumably because they fall off so easily (or, their owners purposely discarded them along the trail?).

I would note the weather during the week leading up to 10/31. I would check trip reports on the appropriate trails within a few days of 10/31. I would check the forecast for the day(s) I'd be hiking. I'd compile all that data, talk with my hiking partners, and decide the morning of the hike. I must hang out with strange people, because that's what we always do. :confused:

Some Octobers can be quite icy and snowy. I would bring at least crampons.

You're right, but crampons? In October? Might as well put a rock in your pack. :D I'd go with microspikes.

How is Zeacliff trail ? I've never been up or down it

IIRC....Steep trail near the bottom but nothing crazy, beautiful birches and moderate in the middle, steep rock scramble near the top right before you hit Twinway.

You're right, but crampons? In October? Might as well put a rock in your pack. :D I'd go with microspikes.

I'm thinking of cutting the toes off my boots and letting my toenails grow. All purpose traction... light.... and CHEAP!:p

Light traction. You're safe with your poll question cause you said Stabilicers or something similar!

But definitely another vote for Microspikes. :D

Zealand Cliff Trail

TDAWG ... thanks for reply .... Guess its worth the short distance instead of going around to Zealand Hut ..

thx for the reply ...

TDAWG ... thanks for reply .... Guess its worth the short distance instead of going around to Zealand Hut ..

thx for the reply ...

No problem, going down it would be "interesting" but possible at the upper section I think with a little care.

Zeacliff Trail

I just did Zeacliff for the first time about a month ago. It's really not that difficult. I think the WMG makes it sound more intimidating than it is. There is really only one difficult scramble and there is a nicely placed downed tree to help you pull yourself up at that spot. It's a beautiful trail and worth the extra effort.